Could Nintendo's NX be a console with a detachable handheld?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by theydonotmove, Apr 5, 2015.

1. theydonotmove macrumors member

theydonotmove

I wonder if Nintendo could create a device that runs as a console connected to your TV, and has a detachable DS-like device that you can take on the go.

Way i see it, the handheld is the brains of the device, and the console is the muscle. When connected they make the home console device that you play your Mario's/Zelda's/Kart's, and when separate you have a handheld that you play the same games on, just a smaller screen and less resolution.

Think about it, Nintendo combined the dev teams for the handheld and console devisions for the first time, Iwata and Myamoto are talking about having 'brothers in a family of systems' and one single platform to have multiple devices associated with.

Nintendo would no longer be struggling to support and market two different devices, and would have less games shortages due to lack of 3rd party support because all their AAA development is on one operating system.

If you look at it by sales, 50 million folks bought the 3DS, throw another 10 million for the Wii U, simply put, 60 million or so people will buy nintendo hardware no matter how badly marketed it is or how badly named it is or how out of touch Nintendo is with the core gammer fan-base that left after SNES.

If you happen to be a electronics expert or a game developer let me know if a device like this is something that can be made with today or 2016's technology for an affordable price. i could be completely clueless.

2. boast macrumors 65816

boast

A small hand-held device with PS4 quality graphics would be great. (Assuming they still keep going the route of being one generation behind)

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's something I've been thinking on. I thought the Wii U would eventually gain the ability to play DS/3DS games via a new gamepad with a cartridge slot in it, or at least something to stream from a 3DS back to a Wii U/TV (and vice versa).

Nintendo's bread is buttered on the handheld side, so it's fair to assume it'll be some kind of hybrid. You can't offload rendering from a handheld console to the TV, either, so I don't know how they could have a handheld that can stream to a TV and have it look good.

4. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I'd bet Nintendo would massively underpower it if that was the route they take.

I just worry about them, I think theyre going to go handheld only if the NX flops.

5. theydonotmove thread starter macrumors member

theydonotmove

but that's the thing. i think the NX will be a console that comes with a handheld.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Because that concept has worked so well for them with the Wii U.

7. theydonotmove thread starter macrumors member

theydonotmove

No, the Wii U is not a console that comes with a handheld. The Wii U is a Console with a connected tablet for a controller.

I'm talking about a console that you press a switch on it, and out pops the handheld. It plays all the same games as the console, just a smaller screen. The console doesn't work unless both devices are connected.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Could Nintendo's NX be a console with a detachable handheld?

You will never get that simply because all the power & hardware has to inside the handheld part.

Assuming they are still 1 generation behind (they can not afford to be at that point two generations behind) and are aiming for graphic fidelity higher than Wii U - then it just won't happen in a handheld. Unless you want battery life that is minuscule.

Nintendo's handhelds are at least 3-4 generation of home console fidelity for a reason. They aren't even approaching full GameCube or wii quality yet with the New 3DS.

Likewise Nintendo need to at some point attract third party publishers back to the platform. Their next device needs to be based on similar architecture to PS4/Xbox One to allow development to suit all platforms otherwise third party developers and publishers will just give up on the platform and it falls into insignificance once again.

9. theydonotmove thread starter macrumors member

theydonotmove

The Handheld of this proposed device doesn't need to be equal to the console. When connected the console portion of the device does all the up-resing and output to the TV, the handheld is just running the game. When disconnected the handheld is running the game at the performance the handheld runs at, which will be somewhat better than the 3DS i assume, as Nintendo does improve it's hardware each generation.

Also, Nintendo is never "A generation behind" console hardware generations are not defined by specs, as the specs on every console are never identical. Nintendo makes hardware that's perfect for their needs, that's why 3rd parties are hesitant or unwilling to develop for Nintendo's platforms. Nintendo still uses power PC chips, and always implements some crazy "innovative" control scheme the 3rd party developers don't know what to do with.

The Wii was underpowered compared to it's competitors, but had plenty of 3rd party support (albeit, mostly shovel ware), because it sold so well. If the Wii U was selling as well as the Wii did, the 3rd party devs would be all over it. it's not an issue of power, it's an issue of how many people own one.

I agree with your last paragraph, Nintendo needs to join the x86 party with their CPU's and make their hardware very easy to port games to and develop new games for. But the answer isn't to make a pound for pound, spec for spec, identical system as the competition. Nintendo cannot afford to make a console that way, Sony and Microsoft can afford to cause they have other devisions of the company making money for them (less so with SONY as Playstation is the only profitable thing they got going on), Nintendo needs to at least break even on the console.

10. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Yeah, i understand that. I think a lot of people would agree with you but I don't know if its a good idea.

Like, whats the plan, do they phase out the 3DS. Would this replace the 3DS? It would need to, dont think they could support two handhelds. But then the 3DS is so strong, would they want to harm the one part of the company that makes money so they could bring out this new idea that will confuse most people.

If the NX is a hybrid then do you dock it in to something? Why? I'll just carry on playing on the handheld when I am home. Good handheld games do nothing for me on a large screen. Maybe im in the minority but i really don't like the idea. I like having a home console and a handheld.

11. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

If this was 4 years ago and we were talking about the Wii U predictions I'd say a thousand times yes. The Wii U seems to be an expensive Xbox 360 at this point.

Nintendo needs to do something to make the next console interesting. I don't see a way they can build a handheld with graphics superior to the Wii U today let alone enough to compete with the PS4 or XB1.

What I do see is Nintendo doing something based on a similar hardware of the Wii U but better with a Kinect style camera that actually works consistently at a lower cost.

Nintendo basically invented motion gaming and Microsoft and Sony used brute force performance to fill that gap. The Kinect on the Xbox One is a horrible joke after it was implemented. I don't know of anyone that has left their Kinect connected after a month or two even on Xb1.

I expect Nintendo to do something unique. The power and throughput on a handheld is too low to ,ale anything Wii U performance