Could not activate cellular data network - Verizon iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by goluram, Mar 22, 2012.

1. goluram macrumors newbie

I already have a post paid Verizon data plan that I use with a USB stick and my laptop. I cut the SIM card today and made it to a micro SIM. Now, when I plug it into the iPad, it always gives the following error.

Could not activate cellular data network

The things I checked based on the search results.

1. PRL is up to date.
    2. Tried reset network settings method.
    3. Tried re-provisioning (waited for 10 minutes and then did a reboot).
    4. Tried clear all settings.

In order to verify that I did not make my SIM a dud while cutting, I plugged it into the USB modem and it works great on my laptop.

The top left hand side shows "verizon 3G" with approximately 3 bars.

Any ideas on how I can resolve the problem? Thanks!

2. iMule macrumors 6502

There's apparently no way (that I know of). I exchanged my iPad, tried what you tried and was on the phone with Verizon for 20 minutes. If you're not able to log in with your username when you go to Cellular Data in settings (the option shouldn't be there...) you'll have to call. I'm pretty sure they activate your SIM to an assigned hardware device. I could be wrong though.

3. goluram thread starter macrumors newbie

iMule,

So how did you get your data working? Did VZ had to do some change? I want the flexibility to use the SIM on both the USB modem and the iPad. Others in the forum do mention that the MiFi SIM works. What is different between the MiFi SIM and the USB modem SIM?

Thanks

4. goluram thread starter macrumors newbie

5. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

I don't think this is possible. I haven't seen anyone post having any success putting a different Verizon SIM into the iPad. There has been success using an AT&T SIM in it but that isn't what you were hoping for.

6. goluram thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply and apologies for being thick.

I can transfer the SIM from one USB modem to another and it works fine. Why wouldn't it work from the USB modem to the iPad? http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1336647&page=2 confirms that users are busy cutting their SIMs and it works fine on the iPad.

7. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

Good to know. It is weird that it is working with the phone SIM cards but not the one from your modem. Shouldn't a SIM be a SIM?

8. goluram thread starter macrumors newbie

It sure is. I am going to go to the Verizon store tomorrow and see if they can help. Highly doubt that they will help but might be worth a try.

9. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Actually, this gave me the same idea. I already have a VZW 4G LTE hotspot that I use elsewhere, but I can fix that if this works. So, the SIM card in that (jetpack model?) cut into the size of a micro SIM would work and give me the same 4G LTE service and data allotment?

10. goluram thread starter macrumors newbie

Folks have been reporting success with the MiFi SIM card.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14559105&postcount=34

11. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Wow. Thanks!!

This would be SO great if this works. Only problem is the SIM. I'm unsure how to cut it, or do I even trust myself to do it well. Plus, once cut, would it be able to go back in the original device as well?

12. goluram thread starter macrumors newbie

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045XR5IS/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details <- To cut. Very simple and clean cut.

The above ships with four micro SIM adapters as well. Some people have mentioned that it's too thick (not for me).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XCCYV0/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details is an alternative for the micro SIM adapter.

13. imlynxy macrumors 65816

I have the same problem now. I bought a microsim card from ebay and waiting for it.

14. goluram thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you plan to do? Activate the plan on the new microsim and then try again?

15. imlynxy macrumors 65816

going to activate new plan with new id. reset -erase ipad.