Could not activate data..... On and off?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by axil23, Oct 27, 2010.

1. axil23 macrumors newbie

Got a iPhone 4 running 4.1 jailbroken using limerain. Internet was working fine while I was using it with my home network in the UK and a few days ago I brought it along with me to India and am using it on Airtel here. Been facing a problem with the GPRS connectivity. There is no 3G network here so plain old edge is what the phones run on.

Say if I check my email or surf the net 10 times a day I get a "could not activate cellular data connection" at least 5 times. The other 5 times the net works fine. This is not a case of being in low signal areas as it could be working in a certain place and 5 minutes later you get that warning.

The APN connection settings are correct.

Sometimes when I go into text messages I get that same error message.

Please help...

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It might have to do with the crappy wireless provider you're using:)

3. axil23 thread starter macrumors newbie

:D

You know I thought that too but then have checked with a couple of other people on the same network with the 4 who aren't facing this problem.

I thought maybe it was the sim card but I used a good quality sim cutter which has not touched the metal parts.

4. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I'd say it's almost definitely the lacking bandwidth of the wireless provider in the exact location you were at when you received the error message. It possibly could be stemming from minimal differences in their network, though I'm not familiar enough with India's wireless network to say anything in that respect.

5. axil23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what I had thought to. But that doesn't explain why the 3Gs works perfectly.

Would anyone know why the 4 has a harder times dealing with slower networks.

6. axil23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also why do I get an "could not activate cellular data connection error when I go into the SMS app? How does that have anything to do with Internet access?

7. axil23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone? :eek:

8. axil23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow this is getting annoying. Can anyone advise what the sms app has to do with internet access?