iPhone Could not downgrade iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Cod3rror, May 30, 2014.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Upgraded to iOS 7 by mistake and it's an absolutely atrocious experience.

Tried downgrading to iOS 6 and no matter what method I've tried, I could not do it.

iFaith with a custom firmware, nope
    Redsn0w with a custom firmware, nope

Then I read that new iTunes blocks downgrades for iPhone 4; downloaded the old iTunes, but it does not work, just gives the message that it does not support iOS 7. Tried iTunes patches, but that did not work either.

The closest I came was when iFaith logo appeared on the iPhone, with the progress bar, but it never moved.

So, the question is, am I stuck with iOS 7?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can only downgrade it if you have the SHSH blobs for the target firmware on that device.

3. darricksailo, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014

darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

here are the requirements for downgrading to iOS 6.x
    1. complete valid blobs for iOS 6.x.x
    2. if the restore is done via itunes, you need 11.0.5 or older. otherwise, redsn0w can do the restore inside itself
    3. hosts file must not point to cydia's servers

if you don't have iOS 6.x blobs, you can't downgrade to iOS 6.x

check if cydia has any iOS 6.x valid blobs using ifaith

4. curiosity macrumors regular

Not sure about the iOS 7 reference and "it does not work", but you have to rename your old iTunes database folder (or at least the database ".itl" file) so iTunes 11.0.5 can start.

5. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

1. Check. iFaith confirmed a valid blob for 6.1.3.
    2. iTunes 11.0.5 told me it can't work with iOS 7 and to get a newer version. Redsn0w could not restore... was always hanging on "Waiting".
    3. Check.

----------

iTunes was starting fine. But it was just saying it does not support iOS 7.

It's called "Error 11".

6. curiosity macrumors regular

Do you use a Mac? Maybe they require an even older iTunes version.

Error 11: http://blog.ih8sn0w.com/2013/09/some-updates.html?m=1

7. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

8. curiosity macrumors regular

I did this 2 days ago with an iPhone 4 (iOS 7.1.1) using Windows 7, the latest iTunes, and iTunes 11.0.5. The only error that popped up was the usual database error.

I wonder how iTunes can know about "iOS 7" when the device is in "pwned" state. Did you do it properly using iFaith's iREB section? After that the screen must be black.

9. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I think I did. I followed all the instructions that it said it was in a "pwned" state.

I had iTunes opened and once I "pwned" it, the iPhone disappeared from iTunes.

What do you mean by "the latest iTunes and iTunes 11.0.5"?

Did you have them installed simultaneously?

10. curiosity macrumors regular

No, I wanted to say that I uninstalled the current version and all associated software, then installed 11.0.5.

Sometimes I have trouble with iREB. It says the device is "pwned", but it's clearly not. Then I just repeat the process until the screen goes black (and stays black).

I believe you should NOT have iTunes running while doing this.

11. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

put the device into pwned DFU mode first before you open itunes

when in pwned DFU mode, all itunes will be able to detect is that your iphone 4 is in "recovery mode" and from there, you can hold shift and click restore and select the custom firmware ifaith made for you

the custom firmware will have your iOS 6.1.3 blobs stitched with it. also make sure you have itunes 11.0.5 or older

12. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

So, I did all the above, entered PWNED DFU, iTunes 11.0.5. It started moving, but it got stuck at the loading screen (picture below), I had to disconnect it because it wasn't doing anything at all, and iTunes gave error. Now I'm stuck on "Connect to iTunes" screen... Power + Home button reset does not work, goes back to "Connect to iTunes".

Is the iPhone dead? I'll try to update it to the latest iOS tomorrow.

[​IMG]

13. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

attempt to enter DFU mode. you'll keep booting back up to recovery mode if you just do power + home button reset

once in DFU mode, you can try entering PWNED DFU mode again

14. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

When (if) I enter PWNED DFU mode again, what do I do then?

I don't think this custom firmware will work, there must be something wrong with it, it does not go past the loading screen, the progress bar doesn't even more.

To add to this, TinyUmbrella stopped loading at all for some reason. Sigh, at this point I just want the phone to boot up to iOS 7 or whatever, screw it, I'll sell it and get a newer one.

Thanks!

15. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

It can be done, and it can also be a complete pain and take up hours of time for something not even that rewarding in the end.

I succeeded with one I had for, a few weeks. Anyway I had to use my old MacBook running Snow Leopard and installed an old version of iTunes, then used iFaith in a Windows XP VM to make the custom firmware from the blobs I had saved, then moved the file to OS X, and somewhere along the line switched the iPhone to the VM to PWN the DFU, then put it back to OS X for iTunes to restore it.

After a long time, I got it to work. I then just sold the phone jailbroken on 6.1.2 with SSL fix and no update tweak, and called it a day.

The iPhone 4 is still perfectly usable on 7.1.2, but iOS 6 is a good bit snappier.

For the price I sold the 4 at, I could have gotten a used 4s for around $40 more. Something to think about, unless you're planning on going new or something.

16. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

try remaking the custom firmware if you think that's the problem. make sure you're stitching the valid 6.1.3 shsh blobs to the firmware

if all you want to do is to bring the iPhone to a usable state (for the moment), you can enter DFU mode and just restore to 7.1.2

17. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

You MUST use ifaith or sn0wbreeze to restore ios 6 firmwares. Redsn0w hasnt worked since 5.1.1...

18. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Restored to 7.1.2.

Screw it, let it stay at iOS 7.

Thanks for helping me out Darrick! And everybody else that replied, thank you!