Could not repair HD with disk utility

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rympy, Sep 13, 2007.

1. rympy macrumors member

I've recently been experiencing lots of software crashes and a few osx crashes recently. I'll get "[SOFTWARE] has quit unexpectedly" or a finder crash where all the desktop icons flash on and off and I get a constant spinny wheel.

I've repaired permissions. I also ran a verify disk and I got an error saying that the volume HD needs to be repaired. I used the restore disk that came with my PB (from the panther days) since I lost my tiger disk and did a startup from the dvd and ran disk utility repair. Heres what I got:

Checking Extended Attributes File
    Invalid leaf record count
    (It should be 7 instead of 5340)
    Checking volume bitmap
    Checking volume information
    Repairing Volume
    The volume HD was repaired successfully

Repair attempted on 2 volumes
    1 HFS volume repaired
    1 volume could not be repaired

FYI
    I am still experiencing crashes, and I've tried repairing again to get the same result.

I am rumming a PPC PB G4 1.25GHz
    OSX v10.4.10
    1.25 GB RAM
    I have only 3GB left on my HD (!)

Thoughts?
    Much appreciation.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It looks like it's time to back everything up and buy a new drive. I wouldn't rely on this drive for anything important but it could be good as a secondary backup.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Do everything Mad Jew says!

I would only add the suggestion that you remove items from the HD when you can so you have at least 10% or so free space.

Best,

Bob

4. MacHipster macrumors 6502

I agree with the others, everytime I got that message it meant my Mac was taking a trip on the AppleCare Express.:D I hope it works out!:)

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just to clarify, the drive would probably be back up and running after a reformat but I wouldn't rely on it for too long. That's why I reckon it's safer and easier simply to buy a new one. :)

6. rympy thread starter macrumors member

Yeah.. I thought it may be serious.

I talked to the guys at the apple store and they thought it was strange to get the error message saying the volune was repaired, and then saying 2 volumes were checked and 1 volume was repaired and 1 volume could not be repaired since my drive is not partitioned and I only selected one drive to be repaired.. they guessed that it was a OSX issue or some software issue and not the hardware..although I had a similar issue about a year and a half ago and needed to get my hard drive formatted and do a complete re-install of everything.

The apple dudes suggested that I get a bigger 160GB HD for the powerbook. The cost is around $400 AUD for the drive with installation. The guy at the store was saying that macs work better if most things (apps, etc) run off the HD as opposed to an external. Im not sure if there was truth to that or if it was just an upsell..
    I can get an external drive say 500GB for less than the cost of the internal 160GB.

Do I have an option to go for something like that or is it best to just have the new internal??

I get that I do need an internal drive.. just wondering if i should replace the existing 80GB and buy a huge external as well, or to just go for the bigger internal now and wait to get another external (I already have 180GB and it's filling up)
    Thanks for the advice.. madjew thanks, you always seem to answer my posts..

Thanks guys
    rympy

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's crap about Macs running better if everything's on the internal drive. If you don't mind the inconvenience then feel free to keep your data on an external drive. It's up to you which way you go... :)

8. lisarose macrumors newbie

i have been having same issue, same mac, same sys...

but in the apple discussion forums it was suggested that i run disk utility at least 5 times, then start-up using single user mode and run fsck. Not sure on any details more than that 'cause i haven't tried it yet, but i would try that before spending 400 bucks!!!

good luck!

lisa

9. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Hopefully all was sorted long ago. ;)