Could not wait a high rez macbook air no more !!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by toi, Apr 17, 2015.

1. toi macrumors member

after selling my 2011 mid 11 inches in the hopes of a nice refresh in 2014 august and having to see n put up with the 12 inch underpowered , single useless port macbook FLOP in March
    i bit the bullet and purchased me a used mid 2013 11 inches i7/8gb/512ssd with applecare till august 2016 for $950 shipped on the bay.

after seeing the i7 offered in 2013 is the same cpu as 2014 hasswell , the performance diff would be around %10-15 against a brand new one for $1600 with same specs.

Do you guys think this was a smart move?

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have an 11" 2013 i7/8gb/512gb MBA and love it. I would not consider replacing it with the new MacBook. But this is a personal decision, based on my needs.

Since you haven't told us anything about your own needs, I don't see how we could say if you made a "smart move". But I would say that you certainly got a good deal for $950.

3. yosemit, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015

yosemit macrumors regular

I would buy a 2015 MBA and a 4K "retina" monitor. :cool:

The 2013 MBA does not support thunderbolt 2.

4. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

great machine

i think you bought a perfect machine. great specs. for less than 1000. with those aspects it will last at least 2 to 3 years.
    and your specs are better than the new retina macbook as well.

i7 / SSD /8GB perfect combination of specs.

and the battery life, even with i7 for a machine of that year still should be around 4 to 5 hours actual.

5. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

4 to 5 hours with screen at full brightness is possible, but seems a little low to me. I have not tested mine recently, but last summer I was getting over 6 hours with full brightness screen, watching movies outside on the porch, streamed over 802.11ac wifi from my mac mini.

With reasonable battery conservation - keeping the screen at a lower level but not "dim", I usually get 10 hours or more on battery in the same scenario (iTunes movie, wifi). My battery shows 182 cycles, normal condition in system report.

6. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I believe that you'll be happy. I've got the same configuration as you describe and I'm very pleased with it, day in and day out.

7. toi thread starter macrumors member

I am not a needy person :)
    Tried a refurb macbook air 13 and as much as like the screen estate of it couldnt stand the footprint of it vs 11 air.
    I mostly do web browsing and gaming like diablo 3. No 3d first person shooters.
    Just wanted the 8gb because my old 11 was 4gb and at times i felt like it was a bottleneck for the whole system. also more ram is always better for the future os upgrades.
    And the 512ssd because i dont want to worry about storage down the road. Old 11 was 128gb and it filled up pretty quick.
    I use one of the usb ports permanently for logitech unifying receiver for the m570 trackball and that thing is the best accessory handsdown a laptop owner would own(wish they made a bluetooth version so i save a port) . And the second usb for syncing the i devices whatsoever.
    No use for a thunderbolt port. So it really doesnt matter if its thinderbolt port v1 or v234.
    As for the cpu , my old 11 was an i5 and it was totally fine but the 2013 i7 are an optional upgrade which makes them pretty much the same machine sold in 2014 with same specs. And the extra %20-30 performance boost is a very pleasent upgrade.
    So thats that :)

8. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

I've got the i7 and 8GB in my 2013 13" Air and I love it just as much today as I did when I got it in August of 13...looking forward to another 3 years of use out of it still.

I think you made a solid and logical choice.