Could not wait any longer for new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dr FranknFurter, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Dr FranknFurter macrumors member

So I pulled the trigger on a base model MacBook Air.. it's bloody awesome and seems like a good buy! I can now chill out from obsessing over the iMac launch and get back to computing now (had iPad 3 and 4GS and old crap unusable laptop) it's my first Mac so i'm getting used to it as we speak, free upgrade to Mountain Lion just installed.

The best bit is i'm still gonna buy an iMac when it comes out to complete the family!! as although I previously thought I didn't need a notebook as well as an iPad and iMac, after using the Air for 2 days it is a completely different beast to the iPad!:)

2. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

3. Dr FranknFurter thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, still checking the iMac rumours though lol

4. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

5. iHailCarlo macrumors 6502

6. vander macrumors member

congrats

I've been considering a Mac Air myself, while i wait for the new iMacs to appear. Although I have half a mind to get a mac mini server to tide me over. I'm not as concerned about it being out of date as once the iMac comes out I'll use it as a media server. Congrats on the new computer, Enjoy! Now that we are hearing that the iPad mini is coming out Octoberish, I don't expect the iMacs until mid to late October, maybe even November. My current Mac Mini is barely making it day to day, so I need something!

7. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Been there but I bought the rMBP. I'm beginning week two with it and I am very glad I made the decision.

8. Dr FranknFurter thread starter macrumors member

rMBP is awesome but I couldn't afford to buy that and an iMac so the Air and iMac (if / when it ever comes out:rolleyes:) should be a good combo for me:)

9. Atisha macrumors member

Thanks for the input, I'm strongly considering the same within the next few days.

Are you typically a desktop person? I want to know how the transition goes. For example I'd like to get a laptop stand to raise the 15" to eye height and use an external keyboard/mouse, maybe speakers, etc. Or maybe the rMBP is so great that you just skip all of that? I'm assuming that the retina screen is gorgeous and as a result the 15" screen isn't too small?

I don't know, just want to make sure before I drop $3k on one, which comes with accepting that a $3k iMac would probably be 15-20% faster. It would be set up for video work and occasional WoW. Thanks.

10. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

personally I would still go with the current imac than one of the laptops, but that´s just me.

11. sukai macrumors regular

Congrats! I did the same and bought me an 11' Refurb Air to hold me off.

12. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

I've strictly been a desktop person at both home and work. I bought the XStand Pro because I didn't want to be peering down all the time. The rMBP has superior, at least to my ears, sound quality. Now, it could be the speakers, Klipsch Pro Media 2.1, that is producing the great sounds. Either way, I am in heaven with this computer. The rMBP is expensive for my taste. I've always used PCs, my last desktop costing $900.00 two years ago after taxes. So, you can imagine the pain I experienced having to shell out $3K for the rMBP. But, after seeing the Retina at the Apple Store, I realized I had to buy it. Its speed and the high resolution is what sucked me in.

I cannot guarantee it but if you decide to go the Retina route, I believe you will be happy with the decision. :)