Could not write domain!!!! help!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Supernew, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Supernew macrumors member

Hello there,

I am quite in panic here! well, don't know if there is a reason but here is my case:

I've just made visible the hidden files in Lion to find the famous Library folder using: defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES, in the Terminal.

When I wanted to hide them back using defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO i get the following:

defaults[297:707] Could not write domain com.apple.Finder; exiting

IS that a problem? Did I do something wrong? What do I do now? What does that mean?

Some help will be appreciated... Thanks....:eek:

2. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Head's still trying to wake up but you might have a permissions problem. Have you tried repairing disk permissions? Can't remember the CHMOD command right now that might work.

3. Supernew thread starter macrumors member

Hey, thanks for the reply. I tried repairing disk permission but still the same message... should I worry about that???

4. bigjobby macrumors 65816

you can try going into and opening up: Users>yourUserName>Library>Preferences>com.apple.finder.plist

In there you should see AppleShowAllFiles. Change the value to FALSE. Exit & save, log out and back in again and your hidden files/folders should have disappeared.

If it doesn't let you make the change for whatever reason, try checking if you have read/write perms (or privileges) on your Library and Preferences folders.

This is as far as I can go I'm afraid otherwise it might be worth posting the problem in the more relevant OSX threads rather than the MBP ones.