Could not write domain

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by westfan, Apr 16, 2009.

1. westfan macrumors newbie

Hello,

I closed the terminal window that I entered the command into but from what I recall I typed:

chmod 444

I may have put in ~/Library/Preferences or I may not have, I did push enter before finishing the line though

Now when I try to set it back to not showing hidden files I get this:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 0
    2009-04-17 13:46:10.507 defaults[8422:10b] Could not write domain com.apple.finder; exiting

Anyone know how I can undo whatever it is I have done? Thanks very much,

Nick

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You should chmod the file to 644, not 444. You've made the file read-only, which is why the system is having problems.

chmod 644 ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

3. westfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi BlueRevolution, thanks for the quick reply; I tried that and here's what I got;

chmod 644 ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plistchmod: /Users/Canada/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist: Permission denied

To add to the description, if it helps to clarify what I have done, Office Word Autorecovery will not work and MultiClutch can not be found in the preferences pane and StuffIt gives an error of permission. I am logged in as the administrator. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Huh, there may be ownership issues as well. That's odd. Anyway, you ought to be able to run

sudo chmod 644 ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

5. westfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, tried that here's what I got:

canadas-macbook:~ Canada$ sudo chmod 644 ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist
    Password:
    canadas-macbook:~ Canada$ defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 0
    2009-04-17 15:25:04.938 defaults[9674:10b] Could not write domain com.apple.finder; exiting
    canadas-macbook:~ Canada$ sudo chmod 644 ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist
    canadas-macbook:~ Canada$ defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 0
    2009-04-17 15:26:05.932 defaults[9685:10b] Could not write domain com.apple.finder; exiting
    canadas-macbook:~ Canada$

Is it possible that I've made read only the entire library or preferences folder? Done something that would relieve the admin of admin powers even if the login was still logged in? Thanks for your help I really appreciate it,