Could Now Be The Time?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jparker402, Jul 17, 2016.

1. jparker402, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016

jparker402 macrumors regular

I keep looking at ads to try to determine if the MacBook Air is going to drop in price any more. Right now the 13" 8/256 is down to $1049. For those who have gone through this before, will Apple's actual announcement herald more price drops or could this be the actual drop quietly sneaking in?

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

3. kohlson macrumors 68000

Apple doesn't often drop prices, and if they do it's not by much. Some retailers drop prices by a little bit in advance of new models/updates. Then, they add more capability to the same price point.

4. jparker402 thread starter macrumors regular

Just thought that Apple would make an announcement of the new models and advertise them when they came out. Was hoping that that would also bring on some good sale prices for previous models. Guess not from what you are saying.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I think the air is unlikely to be updated to be honest.

6. jparker402 thread starter macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Jul 28, 2016 ---
    Here there appear to be a number of sales on the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro through this weekend.

7. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

A lot of inventory (on MBAs) got cleaned out here by various resellers in the last couple of weeks, with very attractive prices. That usually doesn't happen immediately before a new product comes in (that wouldn't really be too good for business, long-term), but it's a sure thing that "something" is up.
    The MBAs probably do sell quite good - so I'm not sure if Apple is really prepared to kill it without having something else at the MBA price-point.
    But as usual, there's only one way to find out: wait and see.
    ;-)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Could that be attributed to back to school promotions? I don't see retailers clearing out inventory in the middle of the summer and apple not doing anything until the fall (and they usually won't update their lines until after their back to school promotion expires).

9. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

The Summer holidays have just begun here (6 weeks) and "Back to School" isn't a thing here, anyway.
    Well, it exists, apparently, on the local Apple Online Store. But the discounts I talked about weren't really labeled as a "Back to School" discounts.
    Education-discounts have dwindled in recent years, to the point where lots of people just don't care anymore.

How long does "Back to School" run in the US?