Could rumored March 24th event be for Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dizzy13, Mar 3, 2009.

?

You think the March 24 event could be for Snow Leopard?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. dizzy13 macrumors 6502

Now that we know the event isn't for the new Macs could this rumor still be true, but to discuss snow leopard and a release date, or release it on the 24th?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Snow Leopard is no where near competition, and I can't really see Apple talking about it for too long as it's mostly under the hood stuff.
    March 24th event was most likely nonsense.

3. dizzy13 thread starter macrumors 6502

From what I've read it looked like it would be released in the next 3 months? Guess I have old news? Also, it might be a under the hood, but it has a lot of big changes under there and I think they will want to make a big deal about it to get attention away from the upcoming, probably Jan 2010, Windows 7 release.

Yeah, I guess this is most likely true.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

From using the latest developer build, I don't think it will.

5. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I dunno, but I wouldn't be so quick to write off the "end of March" event as nonsense. In the past I've noticed a trend of Apple releasing hardware via the website and then inviting the press to a special event not long afterwards. I don't know what the event would be for but I wouldn't be surprised if it was AppleTV / iPhone related.

6. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

Think of end October for 10.6. Judging from the information out there regarding the developer's releases, progress on 10.6 is moving extremely slowly...extremely.

7. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I think the March 24th will be a boost of memory of iPod touches and iPhones along with the release of the background/push notification service FINALLY!!!

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Personally, I think they'll wait until Windows 7 ships so they'll retain the marketing edge. I expect Snow Leopard in October also.

9. hajime macrumors 68030

I don't think so. Probably it will be released along with an upgrade of the just announced Mac Pros. Maybe half a year from now?

10. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I don't think the event will happen. And if it does, I don't think it will be Snow Leopard related. The technology that is to be a part of Snow Leopard is quite developer-based -- it will allow for applications to run even smoother and give more tools to those who make programs.

For that reason alone, I don't think we'll see it til WWDC at the earliest.

11. iBunny macrumors 65816

While I applaud your optimism, I think Snow Leopard this month is highly unlikely. As someone above had mentioned, I also expect October to be the target month for the release. Apple does not need to release snow leopard now, and while it may be "good enough" for release, its not polished enough. On top of all of this, Windows 7 and Snow Leopard will be in competition. So a release closer to the release of Windows 7 is more likely.

Just my 2 cents though...

12. dizzy13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Everyone has brought up some good points here. I'm starting to think this whole event might just stay in the rumor bin.

You mean it's too technical, and not good enough to talk about to the general public? I kind of see this, but the fact that they spent a lot of time with the aluminum in the macbooks and talking about battery design I think they could put a less techy spin on very technical things like... Snow Leopard runs more efficiently saving you battery life on portable devices, programs take up less space and load faster, blah blah...

I just remember hearing rumors of a early 09 release which then seemed to move back to mid year. I haven't really heard anything on it since then so assume June still looked good for a release, but if you guys are beta testers and say it isn't ready then I don't see them talking about something in March that won't come out till October at the earliest.

13. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

The best thing for Apple to do is to go about its business and release SL when it is ready and not before; Apple's releases can not be dictated by MS.

And SL is just not ready... better, but not ready.

14. Turmoil macrumors regular

Not Snow Leopard but a New Improved Apple TV!!

15. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

That gets my vote. Apple loves to update in cycles, and it is time for Take 3 (maybe the one that actually gets me to buy an AppleTV)