Could Softonic given my Mac a virus?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PixelBunny, Aug 24, 2010.

1. PixelBunny macrumors newbie

I downloaded the program Paintbrush and with it came a Softonic Toolbar. I got rid of all the files for it and clicked 'completely uninstall' but now I still have the little bell showing up on the top toolbar.

Now lately Safari has been acting strange. The 'open link in new tab' option has disappeared from my right-click, when I try opening a new tab the new tab remains black and the previous tab displays the webpage instead and now when I close a window with multiple tabs the 'Are you sure?' drop down won't let me click.

Please help me?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Has a reset of Safari helped in any way or a permissions repair via Disk Utility?

Btw, just to reiterate an often repeated verse: There are currently no viruses in public circulation that can affect Mac OS X.

3. PixelBunny thread starter macrumors newbie

Resetting Safari only solves the problem temporarily then the things start happening again. And the other doesn't seem to be doing anything.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't have a virus.
    Hold the Command key down and drag the icon off the Menu Bar.
    Try Safari > Reset Safari
    Make sure you have the proper settings for:
    Safari > Preferences > General > New windows open with:
    Safari > Preferences > General > New tabs open with:​
    Uncheck, then re-check:
    Safari > Preferences > Tabs > Confirm before closing multiple tabs or windows

If none of this works, delete:
    /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

You can also do a Finder search to see if any remnants remain of the Softonic toolbar:
    Picture 1.png

5. kenbarbie macrumors newbie

yaa

me too! my internet is all messed up. anything i type in google or youtube or ANYTHING it gives me ridiculous search results. things that hardly have anything to do with what im searchin for. im going insaneeeee!!!!

also, i have firefox and safari on my mac and no matter what i do i can't make them quit running they both ALWAYS stay on!

ps. my mac wont restart fully anymore it gets stuck at the blue screen BEFORE its shutting off....and just sits there...at the blue screen, wont shut off, for 8 whole hours...until i shut it off manually.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check your DNS settings.
    Either Command+Option+Esc to Force Quit the apps, or quit them from Activity Monitor.
    That's probably because it can't quit the apps that are hanging up. Force Quit them before shutting off. Also, try repairing permissions.

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

8. coldhardtruth macrumors newbie

i know its an old message, but i gotta call shenanigans.

http://macscan.securemac.com/spyware-list/

so much for os x's invulnerability.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

• Not a single item on that list is a virus.
    • Many items on that list do not run on current versions of Mac OS X (Leopard and Snow Leopard) They are old threats that ran on Mac OS 9 or earlier.
    • A keylogger is not malware, since it causes no damage and can be used by many for productive purposes. A keylogger can only be installed by someone that the user has given access to their computer.
    • All trojans can be avoided by the user exercising common sense about where they get software.
    So much for understanding Mac OS X's real exposure to threats.

Mac Virus/Malware Info

10. nibake macrumors newbie

Softonice Malware

Beware of the softonic downloader! I have a similar problem, thinking that Softonic was a trustworthy company, I allowed its downloader to install and it proceeded to install malware on my computer. Thanks a lot, Softonic!

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It didn't install malware. What evidence do you have?

12. Jesseeee macrumors newbie

@PixelBunny: these guys were able to rid their system of the Softonic Toolbar. BTW, this was one easy Google/Bing/Altavista search away.
    http://www.computer-boffins.ca/2010/09/uninstall-softonic-toolbar-from-my-mac/

@GGJStudios:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware

The evidence is that PixelBunny's search results were tampered with. This most definitely meets the definition of Spyware, which is a form of Malware. If you disagree with the definition, I invite you to edit and correct the wikipedia page.

13. GGJstudios, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where did PixelBunny ever mention search results in their post, which was 5 months ago?
    If search results had been tampered with, which was not PixelBunny's problem, but was kenbarbie's, that was an indication of DNS problems, and not proof of any malware.
    I know what spyware is. I also know that spyware is not a virus, which is what PixelBunny was asking about. It had nothing to do with spyware or a virus. The icon remained on the Menu Bar because the Softonic software was not completely removed.

The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

14. tom.bcn macrumors newbie

tom.bcn

Softonic definitely didn't put any malware on your Mac. Actually, it's a very secure download site (though that doesn't make any real difference for Mac users).

The toolbar can be removed.