Could somebody please make this app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wolfwill23, Aug 30, 2008.

1. wolfwill23 macrumors member

I drop calls with my (third!) 3G iPhone like it's going out of style. Probably about 20% or so. Lot's of fun considering I own my own business. Love the ones that drop right when you start talking about budgets. Now, I'm sure AT&T keeps a record of each dropped call, but they'll never let me see it.

So, could somebody make a an app that keeps track of each dropped call? I'd like to send Apple a formal complaint but would like to back it up with a dropped call log.

Also, an app like this would really give the people who are experiencing problems with their phones an idea of how bad it is. More importantly, it would give those same people concrete stats to share with the world (thus putting more pressure on finding a fix asap.)

Any takers?

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

no,

there is no way that would work because in order to log the dropped calls it would have to have a process running in the background to detect it.

3. wolfwill23 thread starter macrumors member

Can't it access the call log or something when you open the app as opposed to having it run in the BG all the time?

4. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Although I am not experiencing the problem with dropped calls, I can understand your frustration. However, can I ask why you haven't turned 3G off if this is such a critical issue for you?

I am not trying to suggest that this is a permanent solution to your issue, but rather an interim work around until the issues with 3G get worked out.

I don't think the call log would have any indication of the cause for the call ending. This is something that would be logged elsewhere in the OS (assuming that it is logged at all on the phone).

5. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

I doubt it. Most apps are not accessible by other apps. Do you want some random app looking at your call log (assuming there is one) and sending that information of to their servers? If Apple had this log open any app would be able to do this. I'm sure Apple has that blocked off to other apps.

6. wolfwill23 thread starter macrumors member

I usually do turn off the 3G on my iPhone 3G, but I do a decent amount of web surfing and sometimes forget to turn off the 3G after. Plus, turning off the 3G helps, but does not fix the issue. Still drop calls, just fewer. Never had problems like this with my BB..

7. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

If your dropping calls while using EDGE with your iPhone in places that you did not drop calls with your BB (I assume the same carrier) then it could be a hardware problem as I don't recall seeing any reports of others having this issue.

With that said, have you upgraded your firmware to 2.0.2 and if so have you taken you iPhone into a genius as that seems like the next step.