Could someone explain RAM please?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by spacejockey85, Mar 18, 2015.

1. spacejockey85 macrumors newbie

Hi I know a bit about computers, not a lot though. I recently installed 8GB RAM, two 4GB slots on a 2010 MacBook Pro model. I have nothing intensive that I use running, no malwarem spyware or viruses, just Firefox and music and I've over 400GB left on a SSD. I don't understand why I haven't much RAM left there seems a lot being used for just using the computer and things run a bit sluggish.

Here is a screenshot of a memory checking app showing what is being used.

I mean what is using nearly 5GB of RAM? Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 00.09.53.png

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Ask yourself this : What's the point in having RAM that's not being used?

Don't worry about it unless the Memory Pressure graph in Activity monitor turns to a colour other than green. OS X sorts out the memory management for you. OS X doesn't work in the same way as Windows.

As for sluggish - OS X 10.9 and 10.10 work best on an SSD. If your system is sluggish, upgrade to an SSD. It'll transform the responsiveness of the system.

3. spacejockey85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks that makes sense. The inactive RAM, I obv have more than 500MB to use so why does it show as only having that much inactive?

4. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

It's most likly file cache, and App cache. It makes the OS more responsive. The more memory you have the more it will use. Unused memory is a waste. If you launch an app that needs memory, the OS will dump as much cache as needed so that your app has plenty.

5. spacejockey85 thread starter macrumors newbie