Could someone get data from a water-damaged iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kmo19, Dec 19, 2009.

1. kmo19 macrumors member

Dropped my 3G into water a couple weeks ago. It never came back to life. I have already moved on with a new 3GS, but I see that I can get at least $100 or whatever on ebay for the bricked 3G. But if i sell it, would someone be able to get all my personal data off it somehow?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If they're able to get it working by fixing the parts that were messed up due to water damage, then they'll have access to your flash drive.

3. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Yes, but only if the flash drive is not damaged.

4. Renfred93 macrumors member

you should leave it in a tub of water for 24 hours, to wash away your personal data. and then sell it :rolleyes:

5. kmo19 thread starter macrumors member

ok good to know. Is there a way to remove the flash drive then?

6. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

The NAND flash is soldered to the circuit board. It will not be to difficult to remove the chip or to damage it with some kind of solid object.

It is doubtful that the NAND would have been damaged by contact with water it is quite resilient to most forms of punishment.

7. mb25667 macrumors member

Most painful thing I ever could have done...I smashed my iphone2G up with a hammer. I didn't want to take a chance.

I didn't tell my 3GS I did that though.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I would hope if the OP does that, that he tell the buyer he's ruined the flash drive.

9. firewood macrumors 604

Don't smash it. Take it completely apart and sell all the various pieces as spare parts. Everything *except* the circuit board with the flash chip on it (you can google for photos of the chips). If you are military-grade paranoid, use a power drill (with safety goggles please) with a diamond bit and grind all the silicon right out of that chip into dust before disposal.

10. walky, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010

walky macrumors newbie

walky

Dows the 24 hours teatment work?

Any response to submerging in water for 24 hours? Will that wipe off all data?
    I suppose data is something some people may be after when they buy a “liquid damaged” iPhone.:(

11. walky macrumors newbie

walky

Is this right?

Is that right?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That was just a joke dude.

13. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Lol! Someone doesn't get sarcasm.

14. walky macrumors newbie

walky

Not the place, dude. I am from venus.