Could someone please correct the buyers guide?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by blow45, May 19, 2012.

1. blow45 macrumors 68000

Mac mini has a big red don't buy and the mbp pro doesn't. The pro having an update in a few days is as certain as a rumoured apple product can be though, moreso than the mini, or even the iMac that have big don't buy tags on them. Even the mac pro with an uncertain future ahead of it has a dont buy.

2. simsaladimbamba

What should be changed then, as the Buyer's Guide uses past release dates to give you an estimate when the next one appears?

3. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

What do you mean what should be changed? I was very clear on what sould be changed, didn't you read my post?:rolleyes:

The mbp is about to be updated and it's as certain this will happen in the wwdc as anything apple rumour related can be. It should have a don't buy red on there.

Mac mini had a previous wait for 400 days, and now it's in 300 days wait, there's no indication of an update, and apple are also notorious for taking their sweet time to update it, and it still has a don't buy on it.

4. simsaladimbamba

Was reading "mbp" and "pro" as Mac Pro. The power of abbreviations and the use of "pro", I guess I understand why there are so many threads concerning the MacBook Pro posted in the Mac Pro sub-forum now.

Yeah, it will not be changed.

5. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah it will not be changed? Why? First of all are you responsible on such a change, are you speaking on behalf of site management? Who am I speaking to anyway?

You might also want to try to be less rude btw, if you can help it.

6. simsaladimbamba

Me in charge? Hell no. Otherwise this would be no PG-13 message board anymore.
    I've just seen past discussions of the same issue over the years (Buyer's Guide and this and that) and just think, that it will not be changed, especially as it will fix itself automatically upon the next update. And rumours or not, maybe NOTHING MacBook Pro related happens during WWDC.

There is no try. Either I am or I am not.
    Maybe this can help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-sides_model

7. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

Only in interwebs can you post a straightforward question and end up reading about some guy called Friedemann Schulz von Thun. :D Sorry though, not this time, I ve had enough of superfluous theories in my lifetime.

There's no question in anyone's mind who's been dealing with apple long enough that the mbp is about to be updated and somehow the buyers guide has to inform potential buyers about this, that's all I am saying dude.

8. simsaladimbamba

I understand completely, and maybe they will change it some day, but since they haven't yet under similar circumstances in the past years, I don't think they will. Look at the voting button discussion and how long it is and how long it went for and how nothing has changed yet.
    Now compare that to Buyer's Guide discussions.

And that four-sides-modell is quite an interesting one, though it takes practice to use it and is a bit harder to use on written communication.

Have a good evening, night or morning in whatever hemisphere you can live.

9. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

I remember reading it way back when. It just came to mind. :) Makes sense, although to model it as four sides of a square is IMHO typical psychological bs.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What is the criteria for a "Don't Buy" vs "Buy only if you need it?" For example the differential between the average and the days since last update for the MBA is 305 vs. 321 - it's a "Buy only if you need it." The same differential for the Mac Mini is 305 vs. 356 but it's a "Don't Buy."

11. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Just noticed that. Looks there is need for someone to check the guide. I'm curious now too.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The Buyer's Guide recommendations do not take into account rumors in any way. They are strictly a mathematical computation based on past releases. Those interested in rumors are welcome to click through to the recent rumors stories, which are included right next to the buyer's guide info.

They're two separate ways of looking at things, and you'll get the best picture by paying attention to both sides...rumors and history.

The Mac mini currently stands at 306 days since the last update, compared to an average of 356 days. That means we're 86% of the way to the average update interval, and that qualifies for "don't buy" status by our algorithm.

The MacBook Pro is 210 days into this cycle against an average of 267 days. So we're only 79% of the way to the average update interval. It should pass into "Don't Buy" status within the next few days.

There is definitely something funny with the MacBook Air, which is at 95% of its update interval but not yet showing as "don't buy". We'll look into that one.

13. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

That's what wasn't making sense and I couldn't understand the logic behind it...anyway if the rational of the buyers guide is purely arithmetic, I guess we ll have to wait for the mbp Togo don't buy.:)

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I get what the OP is saying. Perhaps rumors should be taken into account as releases do not follow timescales in the least. If there are strong rumors for an upcoming release that is at odds with the timeline, perhaps it should be noted?

15. simsaladimbamba

Don't the already present rumours suffice?
    [​IMG]

And the "Read more rumours" link gets you here: http://macbookpro.macrumors.com/

16. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Never saw that.. Then again I've been looking at the Mac Pro part.

*cough*

:eek: