Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cripplerking

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
My alarm clock broke yesterday, and I figured it'd be cool to just use my Macbook as one. Does anyone know of a good free alarm program that also displays the time on screen?

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
I used Aurora for quite a while. It also functions as a sleep timer, etc. Has multiple alarms, all that.

I think the new version (v.4) is no longer free, so if you can find the old v.3, that is ultimately best. Works well, and has a failsafe or two (but still, be damn sure your MB is set up so that it WILL make noise no matter what...

[EDIT]
Oh, missed the part about displaying time on screen. Aurora doesn't do that, but not sure what will... not to mention, since you would be using the display's backlight, it will end up being a bit too bright to really leave on all night (unless you need yourself a night light too, lol :D)

Also, the v.3 download is still available on that link I provided. That should be the freeware version, not shareware!
[/EDIT]

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What about iCal? The clock shows in your Menu Bar, and you can also have it show on your screensaver.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
What about iCal? The clock shows in your Menu Bar, and you can also have it show on your screensaver.

I have a feeling a dedicated alarm program would be better. Sure, iCal can do it, but then you have to set the alarm on each day on the calendar you want it, not to mention that would really clutter up you calendar if you regularly use iCal for scheduling, etc.
Not to mention iCal would suffer from the same potential setbacks as a 3rd party app.

And I think what the OP was looking for was something that would basically act like a clock from across the room. While the screensaver would work, it would give the night-light effect I mentioned earlier...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.