Could someone with SL, Quicktime X, and the MPEG2 Component do me a big favor please

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by todd2000, May 14, 2010.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Im having issues playing files that I downloaded from my Replay TV on my Mac. The video plays fine, but there is no sound. It used to work, but honestly I can't remember if I have tried to play a file since I upgraded to SL, and QT X.

I know it might be a bit to ask, but I happen to have a show that I recorded a while ago on my iDisk, I was wondering if someone with SL, Quicktime X, and the Quicktime MPEG2 Component would be willing to download the video and tell me if the sound works.

my iDisk is here http://public.me.com/toddsullivan

NOTE: It is an 800+MB file, but if you have broadband and Apple's Server cooperates it won't be that bad. :)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I'm downloading it, it will take approx. twelve minutes.

I report back then.

3. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

That was quick, thanks!

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No problem, but the download speed is currently cut in half (500KB/s) so it will still take 13 minutes as of now.

5. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Apple needs to hurry up with that Data Center in NC :).

6. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Wow! Well all of your screenshots don't prove the sound works, but if you say it does, I believe you :)

If anyone else would care to give it a go, and see if the audio works, maybe we can narrow this down.

Do you have any other QT plug-ins installed? I have Perian, and Flip4Mac, but they never caused any problems before.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I'm a screen shot fetishist, thus the over abundance of them.

But I should have mentioned, that the sound worked in all players I used and showed to you. I could hear the ticking and the dialog and so on. I just forgot to mention it, since it worked. Stupid ears.

You can see all the plugins in the last screen shot of my QT components folder (Macintosh HD / Library / QuickTime). I have Perian installed, but no Flip4Mac, as it is more for .wmv files, which VLC can handle for me.

But I have Final Cut Studio and Avid Media Composer installed, so maybe they have brought something with them.

8. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hmm, I've never needed anything other then the MPEG2 Component to get it to work, guess I'll have to play around. I did install 3Vix the other day to try to play some file, but I removed it. Maybe that messed it up. I'de really hate to re-install just to get sound in some files :)

EDIT: I just downloaded VLC, and they play fine in that, but I'de rather not have a separate program when QT is supposed to be able to do it....

9. Matt221177 macrumors newbie

Any luck with this?

I have spent days trying to get DVD data converted with VOB2MPEG to mpeg2 to play audio. I purchased the mpeg 2 codec from apple (rediculous), but still no audio. I believe the mpeg2 file was encoded wit AC3 audio. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a few more dry eye days away from going back to Windows 7 where everything just works!

10. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Have you tried downloading the Perian quicktime plugin?

11. Matt221177 macrumors newbie

I sure have. Does it work with Quick Time 10? The video looks great, but still no audio. I would like to encode my raw dvd files to mpeg2 so there is little to no quality loss. I don't like the output handbrake with mpeg 4 produces (not to mention the time to encode!)

Thanks.