Could the apple genius be right?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Oct 21, 2010.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

i went to the apple store to see if i could get a new iphone 4. Well long story short the guy did a test on my iphone it showed that it was normal, but that something had causes mobilesms, mobile cal and mobilesafari to crash a few times recently. he said that this isn't normal and it probably had to do with my firmware. i told him that i restored and set up as new phone at end of september. september 27 to be exact. he said that the firmware must have installed wrong and that could actually be why sometimes pressing the home button isn't recognized and the flashing screen after unlocking it. so he did a restore. he said deep restore, but it looked exactly the same as the restore i do and he then installed the new firmware.

could he have been right or no?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well has it given you any more problems after the "deep restore" or not?

3. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

I think he's right, for this reason:

A few years ago I did a restore and for some strange reason, Safari would never save cookies. Now back then I ALWAYS did a clean restore whenever a new firmware was released, so I couldn't understand what happened. Checked the forums, nothing. Restored again, nothing. So i decided to delete the firmware update from my computer, re-download it, and restore again. Never had the problem again.

Not saying this is what happened to you, but it IS possible.

4. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

There's restore, when you just hit restore in iTunes, and then there's a restore in DFU mode.

5. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

ok so its next day and my screen has flashed at me again. his 'deep' restore didn't do anything different. so now if i go back to same store do they keep a record of my last visit causei want to say that his restore didn't fix it and hopefuly he can give me a new one.

also would it be ok to ask for a new one because the restore didn't work for it?

6. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

You ask, they comply.

Just be persistent, and they will replace it.

7. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

They put a note in the computer every time you have a problem. Or at least, they're supposed too.