Could the Apple store fix this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sequin, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Sequin macrumors regular

I was trying to clean out all the dog hair under my keys and accidentally broke one of the little edge pieces on the key hinge that holds everything in. Would the Apple store have a new hinge I could get or can I buy some online?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Apple store should be able to fix it, but of course it will cost you. I doubt if you could find the part online, but you never know.

3. Sequin thread starter macrumors regular

Ah! I was hoping they wouldn't charge for it, but then again it is Apple

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your warranty doesn't cover damage from accidents. Of course they would charge!

5. Sequin, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

Sequin thread starter macrumors regular

True. Just hoping they don't charge some ridiculous amount. These little plastic things cost hardly anything to make. I need to look into this.

Edit: Ah it looks like they start around $3 on ebay. Hope Apple doesn't charge more than that.

6. Joos24 macrumors regular

Uh, keep in mind that they have to install it so there's a labor charge and it's not based on the cost of the item being installed. Also the price you see on Ebay doesn't have to be what Apple charges for the part. Best Buy charges the customer $30 just to install one piece of software.

All in all, they just might take care of you for free but don't expect it, they don't have to. The best way to get them to fix it for free is to be honest with them and tell them what happened very nicely. You might get a nice genius who understands things happen and N/C's your repair.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple doesn't compete with eBay, so I wouldn't use eBay prices as any indicator of what Apple might charge.

8. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Doubtful my dear lad, Genii are notoriously generous for simple fixes such as this. Assuming the OP means a scissor hinge to an individual key. If it's a hinge to the entire keyboard, well then, that's a different story.

I for one have had a loose key replaced within 5 minutes of a visit to a genius bar.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It really depends on which genius you get, how busy they are, how nice you are, how extensive the repair is, if they have the part in stock, etc. That's a lot of "ifs". I'd rather set the expectation that they'll have to pay for it, which is in line with Apple policy. Then if someone does them a favor, they're pleasantly surprised, rather than having an expectation of getting it free and being upset if they charge.

10. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Again sir, it depends on whether it's a loose KEY, or a loose KEYBOARD. If it's a loose key, they'll fix it without issue.

11. Schtumple, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

This. I had a horrible time with my first MBP at one store, then decided to go to a different one and they replaced it with a brand new MBP... Some people are dicks, some people are nice, depends on a lot of things.

Sequin you might honestly be better off trying to replace it yourself, regardless of how fiddly it is, cause if apple try and charge you something ridiculous, it's not worth it, chances are as well they'll say you need a complete new top case as the keyboard is pretty well attached to that.

12. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Apple doesn't sell parts to customers.

When I needed a part to repair a 'liquid damaged' Macbook the Apple employee whispered in my ear ... " contact an Apple Authorized Service Center, they can do this repair and might sell you the needed part ".

That was my experience in trying to get a part.

13. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Bring the most attractive female friend with you or better yet, just have her bring it without you to the Apple store and they may do it without cost.