Could the iPad and a cheap cell replace a smart phone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sanclemente, Sep 20, 2010.

1. sanclemente macrumors newbie

I need to replace my Treo 755p. Yes its super old, but it has always just worked. As I've looked for replacements, I've become frustrated by the requirement of every cell carrier to upgrade to expensive data plans to get a smart phone. I currently pay $45 for 1500 min, unlimited data and email, and 200 texts. If I get an android phone or iPhone, I'm looking at an extra $60/month, almost $720 dollars a year extra. That is the price of an iPad.

So my question is this: Could an iPad and a basic cell phone be a legitimate replacement for a smart phone? Besides the obvious size issue with the iPad, my main concern is being able to get emails on the road. I'm often in rural areas without a Wi-Fi access spot, so I liked that I can access cell data as needed without a contract. Big screen and added capabilities are a plus AND I could maybe leave the heavier laptop at home. However, no email or web on the phone if I'm just headed out locally. I'm struggling to evaluate this and wanted to get anyone else's thoughts. Anyone tried going this route?

2. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I have a iPad 3G and a BOOST i1(Android). Paying 50 bucks a month. Life is good. Need iPad 2(camera) then life will be great.

3. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

Do you live in US? There are non smart phone plans for around what you are paying now that include unlimited text and web with no contract (boost, virgin, straight talk). As soon as my contract is over or reasonable to cancel I'm switching since I hardly use my phone for anything other than texts and calls since I got my iPad.

4. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I thought about this aswell. With getting a to-go phone from walmart and getting the iPad3G

Heres the thing, the iPad is not pockatable so it's less portable and there will be times where you want to check your email, surf, use apps... but won't have your iPad with you.

I love to bring the iOS with me everywhere because of APPS. it's been helpful in many situation. Checking weather, news, utilities, GPS, Camera/ Video camera, book flights, ect.

I am going along with what apple wants you to do and that is getting an iMac for your core computer, iPhone for a ultra portable iOS/phone, and iPad as a netbook replacement with iOS.

I use my iMac to do all more hardcore computing

iPhone to be phone, portable gaming device, camera, video camera, GPS, ect..

and iPad as a portable computer to use around the house to browse the web, play games, and watch youtube from my couch

They all play their part.

I have the iPad wifi BTW because 3G is too slow for me now so the iPad only stays home except when going to college because I use a etextbook app to purchase my college books right on the ipad but the app developer needs to update to allow offline viewing (downloading of books instead of need of internet), once 4g hits the iPad I will get the iPad 4g.

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Well.... I'm using a 755p and an iPad. I don't have data on the phone so it's basically a dumb phone with a good keyboard and handyshopper.

Gosh I love handyshopper.

It is doable, the insane data prices is why I went this way myself. I'd much rather have the data on the iPad than on the phone.

There is no decent handyshopper replacement though. Sigh. I had hoped to get a small dumb phone and use my touch, but handyshopper has mucked me up.

Just make sure AT&T has coverage where you go for the iPad.

Or go with one of the prepaid options that are reasonably priced in the data area.

I need a new phone too but they come up lacking.....

6. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Ipad is really too heavy to be carried around. I did this during two weeks when my iphone was out of order.

7. slaysme macrumors newbie

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Your plan of getting a dumb phone and an iPad may not be that much cheaper than simply just getting a smartphone. You said you need to check emails on the road--and that means you'll need a data plan for the iPad. So you'll be paying a voice plan + text on your dumbphone and a data plan on your iPad.

As expensive as it is, I think you should go with a smartphone. You can carry it with you anywhere and you'll have the web, your calendar, texts and email. Often, carriers will give discounts on plans depending upon whether they have a relationship with your employer.

Which smartphone to get depends. If you're on the road a lot and will be using a lot of data the iPhone is a bad choice. All AT&T's data plans are now capped and you'll get hit with overage. If you're just going to be checking emails and doing some web surfing then the iPhone is more usable than Android.

9. EnlightenedOne1 macrumors newbie

I've been going with the combination of the Virgin Moble LG Rumor Touch + iPod Touch (just got the new one!) + the Virgin Mobile MiFi device. So far it's been working out great! I pay $40 a month for the phone which includes 1200 anytime minutes and unlimited texts and data. And you can now get unlimited 3G data with the MiFi for only $40 a month! The speeds were a little slow at first but the last couple weeks I've consistently been getting between 1-2 MB a second speeds. When I get the iPad 2g I'll be able to use the MiFi with that as well.

10. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

I use a cheap pay as you go phone and the iPad 3G. Its a good combination for me. I work away from home for 3 or 4 weeks at a time and I use the iPad all the time and hardly ever use the phone any more.

But if you are one of those folks that can't go 3 minutes without checking email this combo may not be for you.

11. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

Yes, wait for the 7" iPad 1st Q. Apple is nervous about the 7" market. Especially the Samsung. It's a nice unit IMO. They can't ignore the segment. The 7" will have F&R cameras. The new 10" iPad will only have a (F) facing camera. :apple:

12. iPodPad macrumors newbie

It did for me. I'd end up taking the iPad with me everywhere anyway, so that wasn't a problem. After enjoying the iPad for a while, I stopped wanting a smartphone.

For me, the joy of looking at a map or web page on a decent sized screen far outweighs the hassle of packing the iPad around. I borrowed an iPhone for a weekend once and discovered that while I could navigate complex pages on it, by the time I got the answer no one could remember the question.

13. melman101 macrumors 68030

I would never ever ever give my iPhone 3GS. It goes everywhere. iPad goes almost everywhere. For those times > almost everywhere, I need iPhone :).

14. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

it's doable, but not as practical. the ipad is not that portable in some instances.