Could the iPad Mini be Upgraded in 6months?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kdesign7, Oct 23, 2012.

1. kdesign7 macrumors 6502a

Sure it's a good question to ponder about...

How likely do you think Apple will give the new iPad Mini a refresh after 6 months. I have a few reasons why this popped into my head.

I read the other day online, somewhere that Apple and Samsung will no longer be partnered in 2013 for their LCD display units, and that Apple will be switching to someone else (Sharp, LG, and maybe someone else, I dont remember)...

Wouldn't it be easier to... say, for Apple to order 8-12 million 7.9 inch displays (thats a very wild and rough est but just go with me here) say from... Sharp and LG and possibly a third I think I read, dont remember, that would be 3 Suppliers all dividing the work flow - that's only something like 4 millions units over a 6-month period, or that's just above 660k units per month months...

Again, those numbers are totally wild - but, Since the iPad Mini already has a great design Body, and we know that Apple has been serving up Retina Displays on their Macbook Pro lineup, iPhone 4/4S/5, iPod Touch, I'm "hopeful" they are being tricky and could do something like the original question I was asking, and possibly do a refresh in 6-months.

(6-months is a good time for competitors to step it up, and then whamo - Apple releases an iPad Mini HD Retina (whatever you wanna call it). lol)

I mean, case and point - they just did this with the iPad 4th generation, just after 6 months. They only changed something minor - the processor Chip, But im terms of profit -- I think they are doing what they need to do to keep ahead in the market place, and all of the emerging Tablets in the coming years.

Ok thats my rant.

:)

Thx for reading.

2. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

3. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Possible - my guess is it will not get Retina until this time next year but it could happen.

4. iLLUMI macrumors 6502

Yep, I agree with everyone. Anything is possible with Apple and it could most likely happen next March. Who knows.
    I'm disappointed that it didnt get a Retina display considering that is now the standard across iPT, iPhone and iPad. Just doesnt make sense that they would do this except to make people want to upgrade next year for the sake of Retina and making money out of consumers.

As a lot of people have said in other posts, hold off for 6 months to see what happens. You could of course get one now and sell it when the Retina model is released.

5. doboy macrumors 68000

Most likely won't happen. I feel this iPad 4 release was an one-time thing to move the new iPad release from March to the holiday season. But what do I know. :eek:

6. guineapig macrumors regular

I surely hope so, I'm not buying until it has retina like all his brothers :)
    But I really don't think it's going to happen that soon.
    I agree, the iPad3 had a big heating issue that somehow Apple managed to overcome without paying a big price in terms of reputation. They had to fix this as soon as they could, and I guess the holiday time is coming too, so two birds with a stone. ;)

7. sineplex macrumors 6502

my guess is you won't see an iPad 5 until this time next year. They have just released next years model right now with an A6X. This is it for the next 12 months.