Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Apple did what I suggested, and simply stretched the iPhone UI to make the iPad UI. Obviously we need the underlying OS to work with iPhone apps, as well as keep the programming for devs the same so they won't have any reason not to make iPad-sized apps.

Now imagine if your iPad could run all the same apps, but just the User Interface had been rethought to make it more efficient for use on a larger screen. For example, the array of icons are spread evenly over the screen. What if they instead could be in an arc array or cluster that you could switch to left or right to make every icon closer to the natural position of your hand when holding the iPad?

What if apps all had a few properties devs could attach so they would automatically group together with similar apps? All "measuring" apps would default to the same 4.0 folder when first installed, for example. 3D games. Board games. Utilities. Etc.. Of course the user should be able to re-organize them too.

There are a few 3D spinning cube skins, globe skins, etc., for windows and linux as examples for other ways to think about a UI. I don't know exactly what the iPad UI "should be", but looking at how much extra effort it required to use the thing makes me convinced Apple could have come up with a more efficient UI. Simply stretching the iPhone UI was not enough, IMHO.

What do YOU think?

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
Apple did what I suggested, and simply stretched the iPhone UI to make the iPad UI. Simply stretching the iPhone UI was not enough, IMHO.

What do YOU think?
I think it's obvious you are to blame. And, was anyone else reading the above reminded of the windows 7 TV commercials. "Windows 7 was my idea." LOL.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Thanks. Yes, I'm to blame. In my defense, I didn' think they would take me so literally.

Any opinions about the UI?

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
I love the iPad UI however the folders should have been included with the 3.2 OS, can't wait to jailbreak this thing to get categories for iPad.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Thanks. Yes, I'm too blame. In my defense, I didn' think they would take me so literally.

Things should change for the better in the fall when 4.0 comes out. :apple:

My biggest gripe is that the keyboard is kind of goofy; unless you put the device down and/or have sausage fingers it's awkward to get a decent WPM. Putting the iPad down then means it's no longer a handheld, and may as well use an Air.

Http://apple.com/feedback/ipad.html ;)

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
Thanks. Yes, I'm too blame. In my defense, I didn' think they would take me so literally.

I actually really like it thus far and will reserve further judgements until OS 4 is incorporated this fall. Overall I commend your efforts, my iPad operates exactly as promised

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
I'm glad you like it, ARH1956. When I made the suggestion I should have also included a challenge to improve the UI to suit the larger screen, but then my foresight isn't as good as it used to be. Given the time frame (since I suggested it), I doubt they had enough time to research a new tablet UI, and simply trusted that a desktop UI was very wrong and their iPhone UI had been VERY successful.

magpie maniac

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2007
Apple did what I suggested...

outsite-the-ego.jpg

So if I like the iPad, do I have you to thank? :p

robfromabove

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
I think that Apple used the similar interface as on the iPhone to expedite sales. Originally, with the iPhone, the UI was fairly self-explanatory. Now that millions of people own an iPhone or iPod Touch, it's more incentive to buy one, because they already know how to.

And besides, what you described sounds incredibly gimmicky. Maybe you should send your suggestions to Archos or Palm. :rolleyes:

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I'm glad you like it, ARH1956. When I made the suggestion I should have also included a challenge to improve the UI to suit the larger screen, but then my foresight isn't as good as it used to be. Given the time frame (since I suggested it), I doubt they had enough time to research a new tablet UI, and simply trusted that a desktop UI was very wrong and their iPhone UI had been VERY successful.

Dude....Hole in one! or atleast an eagle shot. Good forecast.

vw195

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Safari UI needs improvement, namely all the buttons and address bar need moved to the bottom of the screen for easier access.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Besides just being more clever with the icon arrangement, it would have been nice to have each icon more functional. For example a Samsung P2 media player I have uses quick taps or longer touches on many home icons to give you a choice of going to the now-playing screen of the media app or the files list for that media app. Yes, the majority of apps aren't media players, but having two options with each icon would give devs more range on startup than now. A quick tap could be open the app anew, where a long touch could return to previous position or status in the app.

Any thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.