Could the iPhone 7S be the first S model to have design modification?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LoveToMacRumors, Jun 28, 2016.

1. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

We all know the iPhone 7 will look very similar to the iphone 6 and 6S, and I've read lots of news saying the iPhone 2017 (7S) could have major design mod. Do you think it is possible?

2. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

From what I am hearing, they won't call next year's phone the "iPhone 7s".

3. LoveToMacRumors thread starter macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

iphone 3g> 3gs
    4> 4S
    5> 5S
    6> 6S
    why wouldnt the 2017 iPhone be called iPhone 7S?

4. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Because the rumors are it will be a special anniversary phone and they probably want to get away from the S upgrades anyway.
    Remember iPad 1, 2, 3, and 4?

If anything, they should call the Sept 2016 phone the iPhone 6ss.

5. bushido Suspended

bushido

i believe they will just drop the numbers or add a "Pro"

6. ielessar macrumors regular

7. Savor Suspended

Savor

The last two posters nailed it. Go away from the numeric scheme and just call it iPhone with maybe a Plus or Pro moniker afterwards for the higher end and bigger ones. I mean seriously, by the 2020's, we will be calling it iPhone 14, 14s, 15, 15s, etc? At least iPads don't deal with that nonsense as much.

I hope Google and HTC also decide to call the pair of Nexus smartphones this year without the number 5 or 6 after it. Call it the Nexus Dream (homage to the G1), Nexus Passion (homage to Nexus One), or Nexus One 9 (homage to Nexus One, Nexus 9, and HTC One series). I like Nexus Dream or Nexus Passion more.

8. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

They can call them whatever they like, and they still won't sell. But thanks for yet again trying to derail a topic by mumbling about Android phones nobody cares about.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Apple may change their upgrade cycle so that the one which would be the 7S by today's naming scheme will see an design change, but if they do they will likely also change the numbering and it will not be called the 7S.

10. ABC5S macrumors 68040

However, as I asked before, if they drop the numbers, than what will the 2018/19/20, etc be called then ? Can't all be called iPhone Pro or just iPhone for the other years, now can they ? Apple has to give them something so we customers can tell what the newer model is over the other models

11. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Well said.

Dropping the numbers from the model designation is a great idea. They don't number MacBook Pros for example. Apple is creative enough to come up with a good model name.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

It sounds more like we don't really know much about this year's or next year's iPhones.

13. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Why not? An iPod touch is still an iPod touch as is the Mac mini as is the MacBook Pro as is the MacBook etc...

14. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

I'm thinking they call 2016 iPhone iPhone 7 and then 2017 iPhone will be called iPhone Pro.

15. ABC5S macrumors 68040

So, the iPhone 7 should be called "iPhone", and the 2018 iPhone should be called "iPhone" and in 2019 it should be called "iPhone" again, and so on. Is this logical ? I would not mind if they called it the "iPhone 2017" and "iPhone 2018" etc, but I want to know which one I'm getting. I still like it if they give it a number. Doesn't bother me one bit.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

When looking at Apple's other products, they never had numbers. Macs. iPods. Well, everything.

I think dropping the number might be initially jarring just because we are so used to it being the differentiator. I think simply using screen size and processor (or more simply year or edition) might be just enough. We can still just call them all "iPhone" and then add other descriptive buzzwords.

I personally don't really care what it's called. But I do think Apple has muddled the nomenclature a bit particularly with their iPads.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

They dropped it with the iPad at one point, only to more or less bring it back.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I remember that. Thisnisnwhy I mentioned they had muddled things. There's an iPad two but not three. Then there's and air 2. I don't even know all the names lol; I don't own iPads. Unsure why they did what they did but I think assuming customers need a hard number in the name is disingenuous and somewhat patronizing.

I can add that they had the Macbook and MacBook Pro. Now all MacBooks are pro (unless I'm mistaken). That is kind of backwards too lol. Idk. Apple and their naming. Crazy

19. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Just calling it the iPhone or the iPhone pro isn't really any better than the ip7 or the ip8. Nor is slapping the year after the
    name eg. iPhone 2017 any better.

Anyone with half a brain would know that.

20. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

The only Apple product to use numbering has been the iPhone and it's not even accurate except the 4, we are technically on iPhone 9 now.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

iPads use numbering as well.

22. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Ok so iPad and iPhones. And we'll see if iPads continue now that they have the pro moniker.