Could the Mac Mini be the king of Apple's desktop line?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by HenryJobs, Jul 23, 2012.

1. HenryJobs macrumors member

The Mac Pro looks like its on its way out, could the Mac Mini take its place? Obviously it won't replace the customization of the Mac Pro, but I doubt that any new Mac will be getting more customizable -at this point were lucky if they don't solder the RAM to the motherboard.

I guess its not really a question of replacing the Mac Pro, but do you think the mac mini will become a legitimate choice for users who need serious processing power? And if not, where does it fall in Apple's gameplan?

2. qCzar macrumors regular

The Mini is no where near the level of the Mac Pro. It has a 80watt power supply unit and less than adequate specs for professionals. Where do you stick in the graphic card(s), two CPU's and all those slots for RAM?

I doubt that Apple will drop the Mac Pro, they have too many pro users. On the other hand, they have dumbed down Aperture & Final Cut to look like iPhoto & iMovie respectively. So, it's dropping the Mac Pro isn't out of the question, but I personally find it unlikely. Apple said it would update the Mac Pro next year.

3. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I think it already does!

You can dress it up with 16 GB RAM,or a Quad processor, and even in base mode it is more computing than most people need:rolleyes::cool:

4. hleewell macrumors 6502a

5. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

I legit lol'd.

The return of the Cube?

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Making something simpler to use is not dumbing it down. You may as well argue that the introduction of higher-level languages was dumbing down computers or a graphical GUI was dumbing down. Ahh, the good old days where you needed a degree to run an application and there were no pesky users.

7. HenryJobs thread starter macrumors member

I know Tim Cook said they would have something for pro users next year, but could this computer be a super powerful Mac mini, or something in that vein? It would be in line with Apples constant goals to simplify their computers and make them thinner. I doubt they would use the current form factor when they update the Mac Pros.

8. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I don't think we are quite there yet, but with technology increasingly being able to fit a lot of power in a small, thin device, the day will soon come. The large tower of a Mac Pro is a form factor as outdated as a CRT monitor.

----------

If you can get a couple of quad processors, 32 GBs of RAM, and the top video card, then you are there. It may not even have to be that tall.

----------

Yes, but with 2012 technology!

9. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

I would love to see something in between the mini and pro (a box, not all in one like the imac), using desktop parts. I think it would do well personally. I do not think it will happen though.