Could the Macbook have supported two USB-C ports?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mikel30, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Mikel30 macrumors member

Was reading an article, and got me thinking. Is there an internal bottleneck with Broadwell / Skylake processors that prevent two ports from being added? I'm aware of the space limitations in the device, just curious. I know that the Macbook's USB-C port is 5 Gbps. But with the Google Pixel C (with two USB-C ports), there is some confusion about the true speed of the ports. Despite being USB-C, they may only support USB 2.0 speeds apparently.

I know that to get TB3 support on Skylake, it would have required an Alpine Ridge controller. But making sense of all of this, would it have been theoretically possible to support two USB-C ports at 5 Gbps with the standalone Skylake processor?

2. curmudgeonette macrumors 6502

Yes. Googling for an answer suggests that the chip itself supports six USB3 and six USB2 ports. Now, keep in mind that what a user sees as a USB3 port really is a combination of one USB3 and one USB2 port. Some of those ports (probably USB2 type) will be used internally to interface with the keyboard, trackpad, and perhaps WiFi, bluetooth, and audio.

3. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

No one needs extra ports. USB-C only exists on the RMB because it has the purpose of supplying power.

Look for Apple to remove ports from the RMB, not add them.

BJ