Could the Macbook overheat while in a sleeve?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SteveMobs, Feb 3, 2009.

1. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Just a quick question, I searched to no avail.

I am about to pull the trigger on either a booq Taipan Skin S or the Vyper XS2. I have an Aluminum 2.4 Macbook. I usually sleep my MB overnight and when I'm not using it, I usually shut it down about twice a week, but in the mean time it sleeps. Can the MB overheat when it's sleeping in its sleeve?

The only reason I ask that question is because there was a disclaimer on the Booq Vyper XS2 page;

I think they mean specifically for the old white and black MBs, but I was just curious. Has anyone had experience or heard of MBs overheating while sleeping in their sleeves?

And besides that, does anyone have experiences with either of these sleeves? I've heard good things. I'll put it in my backpack, so I'm deciding whether or not the extra $10 is worth it for the Vyper over the Taipan.

Anyways, Thanks for the help,
    -Steve

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't sleep my MBP in the sleeve; I'd shut it down. If it's sleeping, I'd leave it out of the sleeve.

3. SteveMobs thread starter macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Precisely for the reasons stated above? Overheating?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes. When running, even sleeping, the MBP needs proper ventilation.

5. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I disagree. The processor is not powered. The only thing that essentially remains powered is the RAM, so no overheating can occur.

6. SteveMobs thread starter macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

And so the debate I was originally looking to bring to life begins

7. pirategenes macrumors newbie

I disagree too. Based on my experience with powerbooks and a new macbook, i have never had a problem leaving my machines inside a sleeve while sleeping. In fact, I do this all the time. And they usually aren't just inside a sleeve. They are inside a sleeve that's inside a backpack.

Why do you think the laptop needs ventilation while sleeping?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true. From the Apple site:

The bottom line is, while less than during operation, a Mac portable in sleep mode still uses power and still creates heat. If you want to put a sleeping MBP in a sleeve or case, that's up to you. I only stated that I wouldn't do it.