Could the MBP delay be because they will be touchscreen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ss957916, Mar 30, 2010.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Watching the iPad guided tours and seeing the iPad in use on the keyboard dock made me think that being able to type and tap on a MBP would be simply fantastic - could that be what the wait is? Will the new notebooks have a touchscreen option?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I seriously doubt it and do we need another "MBP delay" thread?

Touch screen would cripple the iPad line a bit IMHO.

3. bbtrinet macrumors member

That would be just AMAZING for development. I would not have to buy an iPad to develop for the iPad.

It wouldn't be a great iPad for general use, because you'd have this keyboard hanging off of it. But for developers, it would be awesome.

4. wschutz macrumors 6502

No, the point is that you buy an iPod, an iPhone, an iPad, and a MacBook Pro.

Apple likes revenue... it's not about you getting two products for the price of one :)

5. bbtrinet macrumors member

I guess you're right. :rolleyes: Thanks for raining on my parade.

6. PAC88 macrumors 6502

i hope not.. touchscreen on mbp pro would suck. another feature I don't want that I have to pay a premium for.

7. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

I heard the delay is because they're waiting for parts for the integrated fold-out "Jump to Conclusions" mat.

8. kasakka macrumors 68000

There will be no touchscreen MBP until there's a new version of OSX out and even then I doubt Apple will do anything that stupid.

Touchscreen doesn't work with a regular operating system because your finger is not the same as a mouse cursor. Anything clickable would have to be much bigger to hit comfortably. The only reason websites work on iPhones is that you can zoom until you can hit a link easily (even though the system can predict what you were trying to hit even on small targets fairly well).

What I'm trying to say is that touchscreens require an operating system made to be used with fingers. You can find lots of smartphones or tablets that are trying to be desktop PCs in a phone/tablet format and fail miserably because the developers haven't realized the problems this poses. For example we have Nokia N900s at our office and they are awful to use with fingers. Lots of buttons are too small so you have to use the included stylus (even has a built-in holder). Lots of things placed at edges where they're harder to hit than in the center of the screen.

9. bbtrinet macrumors member

I'm not saying that I want a fully-touchscreen MBP. That's nuts and completely wrong.

What I'd like to have is a MBP with the OPTION of using iPad applications through something like the dashboard. The touchscreen would not function outside the "iPad Dashboard".

But again, this is probably a high-cost/low-usage addition to the MBP which is not necessary. You can just pay $499 if you want an iPad to go with your MBP instead.

10. flaneur macrumors member

No.

It's the mind-meld feature that's taking the time.

11. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I would like to know. Are there people who really have and iPod AND an iPhone???

Yes but it is true. The simple reason why they are so happy about the iPad is that everybody that already owns an iPhone or iPod and an iMac and MBP or both can still buy an additional iPad. After shoving 2000$ on average down apples throat there is even more money for them. The next reason is that it is like the iPhone an Apple own World basicly (besides the Jailbreaks) from almost everything they get revenue.

12. kasakka macrumors 68000

I do. A 3rd generation iPod Nano. I use it when running because my iPhone would be too heavy, too fragile and hard to put anywhere (a pocket isn't a safe place) when running. Plus during that time I have no desire to answer my phone.

So like the iPad, my iPod Nano serves a different purpose from the iPhone.

13. Supermansdead81 macrumors newbie

Monocryl Suture's post here is correct!