Could the next MacBook Pro bring back the MagSafe charger?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cubby208, May 16, 2017.

1. cubby208 macrumors newbie

cubby208

I still dont understand why they took it away in the first place.

2. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

agreed! Taking away magsafe was such a dumb decision. It was such a great idea in case you or someone else tripped on the cord so your Macbook didn't go flying.

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Could? There is always a possibility until it's released.

I love MagSafe too. Can't they intergrade MagSafe to Type-C? That would be awesome!

4. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

5. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

my 80 pound dog trips over and pulls out my USB-C charger cable all the time. There isn't any damage to the port. True she is 80lbs so the impact isn't as great as a 180 lb man. still, I haven't missed the MagSafe at all, plus being able to charge on any part works great. left side at home, right side at work. (placements of wall outlets)

6. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

Although a great feature, I have own Windows laptops for years and I have never encountered a case where someone accidentally tripped over the chord. I am just conscious of my use and make sure its not in the where that could happen.

7. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

Apple is very deliberate with these things. I won't say it wasn't a short-sighted decision to remove MagSafe, but I can't think of a time Apple removed a feature only to go back and add it again.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

No.

The MagSafe (as nice as it was) isn't coming back.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but as long as Apple has committed to USB3, that's the port they're going to use to charge the things...

9. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

It's too bad - I love MagSafe.
    I also really liked the light on it to tell you charging status even when closed.

10. leman macrumors G3

I don't think its possible... having a magnetic connector for power delivery is one thing but its a bit different if you want to get a reliable signal one requires for high-speed transmission...

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It has about as good a chance in coming back as the other ports. Apple admitted the made a mistake with the MacPro but doubt they will reverse and give us our ports back.

12. satchmo macrumors 68000

I would love to see by action and not just words, that they have listened to Pro users.
    But I agree, they won't change ports, lower the price, or 32gb or RAM...likely new updated processors.

13. leman macrumors G3

I'm fairly sure that they will lower the price...

14. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

Ok, let me explain it so you understand: they took it away so they could replace it with an universal port called Thunderbolt 3 / USB Type C.

Now you know.

And to answer your question: no.

15. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I suspect MagSafe is gone for good, unless they are able to redesign it to be thinner than a USB-C port.

They are not going to sacrifice the thinness in order to bring the last MagSafe version back.

Plus, if I remember right, I think they did away with the DC-in board completely with the 2016 models. Such a move could arguably reduce the complexity of the internal design, which usually would result in lower manufacturing costs (that would convert to higher profit margins.)

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They were getting too light for it to work reliably, so unless physics changes it won't come back.

17. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

Lack of Magsafe is another reason the 2016 MBP is junk. Hopefully they'll resolve all the design flaws, including Magsafe, get rid of the pretend 2 port "Pro" model. Maybe even give the pretend 13" "Pro" model a discrete GFX card? How about it Apple?

18. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Nope. Apple is not known for restoring ports they taken away.

And as nice as MagSafe is, I'll take industry-standard over proprietary any day. While I don't have a single USB type-C device yet (still rocking my 2011 iMac and 2012 first-gen Retina MacBook Pro,) I was glad that Apple ditched all other ports and went type-C only. Much like how they got rid of everything non-USB for the original iMac, which accelerated the adoption of USB devices on both Mac and Windows, I think killing off all non-type-C ports will speed up adoption of type C. Just look at displays - there weren't any type-C displays before Apple teamed with LG to release the USB type-C and Thunderbolt 3 displays at the MacBook Pro launch.

Type-C chargers were really iffy (see the Google engineer's ratings) before Apple's. Now there are good third-party ones available, in addition to Apple's quite reasonably-priced ones.

19. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

MagSafe had only one advantage over every other connector: It was easy to pop off. I'll miss that part.

But let's be realistic, too. Everything else was a disadvantage: proprietary cable, hard-wired to the power brick (if the cable frayed at the plug, you had to replace the whole brick), single-use socket, etc.

So, now you have a common cable (that'll only become more common) that plugs into more sockets (you could trickle-charge your MB Pro off the USB socket in your car if you wanted to) and is cheaper to replace.

Sounds like a win to me.

There's a case to be made for creating a power-only MagSafe-like adapter, which would fulfill gngan's wishes without causing data transmission problems. One could use such an adapter on a multi-port dongle with pass-through power, too. Griffin's the first on the block to do it, although I don't think they expected a higher-amperage MB Pro when they built theirs to work with the 12" MacBook. (heck, nobody expected a MB Pro to go USBC-only)

20. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Two advantages - You forgot the wonderful charging light so you knew the status even when the laptop was closed.

They could change that if they wanted to and then be able to sell just the cables/bricks on their own in stores.

That can also be an advantage, as then power isn't always demanding a port or a passthrough dongle situation. Somewhat subjective.

21. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I think they could absolutely bring it back, but it would be in the form of a creative USB-C implementation.

The current USB-C charge cable is unquestionably more durable than the MagSafe cable, unlike the MagSafe cable you can easily replace the cable without having to replace the charging brick, you are not limited to Apple-branded USB-C cables (thanks to the IF's certification), and now one cable really can power 5, 10, 20, or 50+ devices.

Apple gave up some of their stranglehold on proprietary technology...that isn't a bad thing, and, if anything, we will be fortunate if they do the same with the upcoming iPhones and iPods.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, its not coming back, and I'm not happy about it and I understand at a high level why they did it, but I still don't like it.

Given the reasons why they did it - using USB-C to charge the MBP, the port is superfluous, and given that Apple removed ports that were not legacy or superfluous (SD card, HDMI) the magasafe won't be coming back