Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Interesting (and potentially ominous) story posted at this link: http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...ages-archived-by-apple-will-longer-be-updated

Looks as if Apple has archived some knowledge base articles on the nMP and will no longer be updating them. Could this signal a discontinuation of the Mac Pro? Or just routine page maintenance (though similar pages for other current-model Macs do not appear to have been archived).

Reactions: grahamperrin

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
It's unlikely anyone outside of Apple knows the future of the nMP. If my livelihood depended on the Macintosh I would have already started migration plans to move off of the platform. It is completely unacceptable for Apple to keep their customers guessing as to if there is a future with their products.

This is not limited to the Mac Pro either. It seems almost everyone who follows the Mac on a regular basis is guessing where Apple is going with it. Be it other forums on this site or other web sites. Everyone is wondering what Apple's future plans are for the Macintosh.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
For example if there will be redesign of the ports, for example to 10 USB-C ports, that can work both as USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 - the page about ports actually is already outdated in this view.

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
If it's not against forum rules, I'm willing to put up some paypal or bitcoin that it's NOT discontinued. Standard gentleman's bet of $1 or a 6 pack of your choice (nothing exotic or outrageously expensive).

Any takers?? :D

Ph.D.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
No-one knows. But per ITguy's comments, I've already begun my migration - to Linux.

The grief doesn't end with AWOL hardware updates. The software has been neglected too (except for iCandy features that I don't use). The Finder freezes over trivial things - I just now right-clicked on a file, resulting on a freeze, and in "force quit" it crashed instead of restarting, meaning that a reboot seems necessary. When I click on a file to open it in Preview, it frequently tells me I don't have permission (I do) - a multi-generational bug that Apple is too busy to fix. I could go on and on.

My Linux box (which I'm typing on) has a maxed-out Skylake and a GTX 1070 and cost about $1000 sans monitor. It's faster than any 4-core mac at everything and is rock solid. I'm on Mint 18 now (quite stable), and have Manjaro KDE Plasma on a different drive. The latter has a more modern and attractive user interface (though perhaps it needs another point update or two before full consistency is reached), and it has a very high degree of user control over its look and features. Linux is fun!

I still use both, and I haven't made a concerted effort to switch completely yet, preferring a more organic shift (and, you know, I still hold out some hope for a nnMP). But I find myself using the Linux machine more and more, with fewer and fewer application holes left to fill before it's a completely satisfactory replacement. With another few months of no updates from Apple, I may very well have left the Mac behind for good.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Interesting that this comes out the day before the Apple Event.

The orientation doc was archived Dec. last year and hadn't been updated since Nov. 2014 iirc. The software update page was factually out-of-date as of May 2014 (That's when 10.9.2 stopped being the latest OS). These docs are long abandoned, and I so wonder if the timing is more about clicks than 'news'. Whatever the reason, this is clearly no indication of an imminent refresh, but could be one more tiny nail in the nMP coffin.

Last edited:

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
It's unlikely anyone outside of Apple knows the future of the nMP. If my livelihood depended on the Macintosh I would have already started migration plans to move off of the platform. It is completely unacceptable for Apple to keep their customers guessing as to if there is a future with their products.

This is not limited to the Mac Pro either. It seems almost everyone who follows the Mac on a regular basis is guessing where Apple is going with it. Be it other forums on this site or other web sites. Everyone is wondering what Apple's future plans are for the Macintosh.

Well it's always been the "Apple way" isn't it? In the past, we still always knew something was to be announced at some point, the question was "what kind of juicy upgrade is it gonna be?". It's sad that the question now has turned into "is there gonna be an upgrade at all?"

My livehood does depend on the Mac. I've invested too much in this platform to switch - that's really not even an option. Unless Apple completely stops making desktop computers, there's no way I'll switch to another platform (and in the music/audio world, it always comes down to Mac or PC) - I just find it a bit frustrating that they don't think announcing, or even teasing new models (or new iterations of the same model) is important to their customers. Investing several thousands of dollars in a new computer is different that getting on a new contract for an iPhone or buying a damn watch.

Joe The Dragon

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2006
For example if there will be redesign of the ports, for example to 10 USB-C ports, that can work both as USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 - the page about ports actually is already outdated in this view.
they don't have the pci-e to drive 10 TB3 ports.

Unless they cut the video cards to X8 X8 or X16 X16 switched to 1 X16 link.
[doublepost=1473256835][/doublepost]
Well it's always been the "Apple way" isn't it? In the past, we still always knew something was to be announced at some point, the question was "what kind of juicy upgrade is it gonna be?". It's sad that the question now has turned into "is there gonna be an upgrade at all?"

My livehood does depend on the Mac. I've invested too much in this platform to switch - that's really not even an option. Unless Apple completely stops making desktop computers, there's no way I'll switch to another platform (and in the music/audio world, it always comes down to Mac or PC) - I just find it a bit frustrating that they don't think announcing, or even teasing new models (or new iterations of the same model) is important to their customers. Investing several thousands of dollars in a new computer is different that getting on a new contract for an iPhone or buying a damn watch.
hackintosh

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
This is exactly what I have been thinking. Apple has always been secretive about upgrades but we knew they would be forthcoming. Today, well, as you said...will there be one?
Everyone has to weigh the costs of switching as it can be costly to do. Let me ask you, and other forum members holding similar views, at what point will you conclude Apple has abandoned (if they do) the professional market? We're approaching three years without a single upgrade to the nMP and not a peep out of Apple as to their intentions. Will you wait another year? Two? Five? Until you are unable to use your current hardware?

DrMickeyLauer

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2016
Neu-Isenburg, Germany
Let me ask you, and other forum members holding similar views, at what point will you conclude Apple has abandoned (if they do) the professional market?

My threshold of pain is about 3.5 years. I'm very happy with the current nMP, but need a new one for my work. If it doesn't come by Mid 2017, I'm going to build a (sad face and a) Hac(k)intosh...

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Will you wait another year? Two? Five? Until you are unable to use your current hardware?

Five sounds right...well not waiting five from now.

I'm allowed, as a self employed individual, to write off the full cost of a new computer purchase over a period of five years. I know that's how most corporations view it as well.

Should Apple have not updated the Mac Pro within that time frame, it strikes me that it's time to look elsewhere.

Last edited:

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016

I'm allowed, as a self employed individual, to right off the full cost of a new computer purchase over a period of five years. I know that's how most corporations view it as well.

Should Apple have not updated the Mac Pro within that time frame, it strikes me that it's time to look elsewhere.
Does this mean you'll wait five years before planning to make a move to an alternative platform? Or does it mean you'll have moved to an alternative platform by that time?

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Does this mean you'll wait five years before planning to make a move to an alternative platform? Or does it mean you'll have moved to an alternative platform by that time?
I'd be happy to wait out that five years, so September 2018 would be my personal cut off date.

That said, I'm confident that we'll see a new Mac Pro before this year is out.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Interesting (and potentially ominous) story posted at this link: http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...ages-archived-by-apple-will-longer-be-updated

Looks as if Apple has archived some knowledge base articles on the nMP and will no longer be updating them. Could this signal a discontinuation of the Mac Pro? Or just routine page maintenance (though similar pages for other current-model Macs do not appear to have been archived).

-when people think about the topic-

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
I'd be happy to wait out that five years, so September 2018 would be my personal cut off date.

That said, I'm confident that we'll see a new Mac Pro before this year is out.
I'm still unclear as to what the cut off date means. Is it the point at which you conclude Apple has abandoned the Mac Pro and therefore start investigating alternatives?

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011

I'm allowed, as a self employed individual, to write off the full cost of a new computer purchase over a period of five years. I know that's how most corporations view it as well.

Actually I think Computer equipment is on a 3-year depreciation basis, but in any event, you can section 179 expense it in a single year if you choose to.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I'm still unclear as to what the cut off date means. Is it the point at which you conclude Apple has abandoned the Mac Pro and therefore start investigating alternatives?

You're pulling my leg, right? If there is no new Mac Pro by September 2018 the next computer I purchase will not be from Apple.

Actually I think Computer equipment is on a 3-year depreciation basis, but in any event, you can section 179 expense it in a single year if you choose to.

I'm actually from the Netherlands, but thanks all the same for your advice.

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
You're pulling my leg, right? If there is no new Mac Pro by September 2018 the next computer I purchase will not be from Apple.
I am not pulling your leg....why would you think I might be doing so? Having said that thanks for clearing up what your cut off date is. My advice would be, prior to September 2018, to investigate alternatives so that you'll be prepared in the event there is no new Mac Pro by September 2018. That is unless you can make the switch relatively quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.