could the power button be stuck?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by roxstarrgirl, Jul 7, 2011.

1. roxstarrgirl macrumors newbie

2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

I would want a second opinion before replacing the HD too. The Apple store will check it out for free if you make an appointment at the genius bar.
    What happens if you start up with the option key held down? Do you get to choose a drive to boot from or is the screen blank? If the screen is blank except for an arrow then it's your HD.
    Do you have the discs that came with the MacBook?
    If you can get the disc to go into the MacBook then shut down and restart while holding down the option key. If you can get it to boot this way then it is your HD.
    I don't think the power button is the problem because it does turn on and off when you press it.
    It sure sounds to me like either the HD is locked up or the disc drive is trying to eject a disc.
    Let us know what happens after trying all of the above.

3. roxstarrgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I inserted the disc, and it stopped making that noise. Now it is making sounds like it is trying to read the disc. I powered down, then tried holding option and power. It still sounded like it was reading the disc, but machine didn't start, screen still black.
    Weird, eh? I think I'll be making a trip to the genius bar... Thank you for your help!

4. Knoodles, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Give it a while to read the disc. 5-10 mins? Hold option key down the entire time.
    Hmmm maybe not an easy fix as I first thought?
    When you press the power button does it make the chime start up sound?
    This may/may not help but try zapping the PRAM. Start up holding down command-option-p-r until you hear 3 chimes if it chimes at all. You already did a system power reset by removing the battery and holding down the power button for 10 secs.

5. roxstarrgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't hold it down nearly that long before, I'll try again & update!,

6. roxstarrgirl, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

roxstarrgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Held down option for ten mins, nothing changed. Was worth a shot.
    Tried zapping PRAM, nothing.
    No chime start up at any point since this began.

7. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

No chime. No boot. Reset SMC. Reset PRAM. No change = not good news. Time for a visit to the Apple Store.

You can make an appointment online.

Genius Bar Reservations