Could there be a new Apple/TBD display on the horizon?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by zainjetha, Mar 17, 2015.

1. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Without being able to connect the new rMB to a thunderbolt display, this may not be the machine for me and for probably a lot of people. Whilst the 12 inch form factor would probably be perfect for use on trains, coffee shops, planes, in bed etc, I would certainly feel the need for a bigger monitor at my desk.

Or else, I will still get the rMB and couple with it a 5K iMac. I've been thinking of going with two machines lately (particularly in want of more than 512GB storage), though docking my current 13 inch air is a massive convenience. Hmm - this would involve being entirely at the mercy of iCloud drive, iTunes Match, Exchange/IMAP mailboxes, and be fully reliant on iCloud's ability to perform (I'm already somewhat reliant on it anyway - and it does perform).

Let's see what happens...

2. ByteTheBooty macrumors regular

what your describing is what Im doing (well what I was (since I sold my MBA)) and I love it..I feel like its the best of both world

3. zainjetha thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah - why did you sell the Air?

The one thing I do know for sure is it would get tiring staring at the 12-inch screen for hours. I wonder if I'd be non-forgetful enough when it comes to moving files etc. The new 5K iMac is amazing - so maybe an excuse to get the 12-inch air.

4. zainjetha thread starter macrumors 6502a

So how many of you would this be a deal-breaker for?

Having two machines in this day an age seems redundant. Do you think WWDC would see a monitor with USB-C? But then that would be only for the MacBook, as neither the Pro nor Air have USB-C (as yet).

Also - the TBD is far due a refresh.

5. No-Me macrumors 6502a

I hope that apple will release a new display right when the new MacBook is available. It just seems silly that they don't have a USB-C » mini displayport adapter.

6. Dubba macrumors regular

I share this sentiment - I am not sure having two machines makes sense for me).

Everything I have electronically, from documents to music to pictures, will fit comfortably on a 512GB hard drive with space to spare. All of it will back-up to DropBox and a physical hard-disk as well.

I wouldn't mind an external monitor at some point - perhaps if and when they release a USB-C monitor down the line.

7. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

I am hoping for a USB-C to mini display port adapter so i can plug in my new MB into my late 2009 27" iMac, I'm sure a third party will make/sell this

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

Until a USB-C to mDP cable or adaptor is released, you could use Apple's HDMI adaptor with an HDMI to mDP cable to connect to your iMac - although only at 1080p of course... I think...

Or, more optimally, one of the newly announced USB-C to DisplayPort cables with a DP to mDP cable or adaptor.

Neither will work with the Thunderbolt Display, though.

9. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

This is what I will be doing. In this day of handoff and effortless syncing via Dropbox, etc., my MB may live in my messenger bag.

10. zainjetha thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm being more inclined to go this way.

Things like IMAP email, iCloud, iCloud Drive, iTunes in the Cloud/iTunes Match, iCloud Photo Library will make this hopefully a rather simple exercise to accomplish. But still, it'd be nice to see a revised Display for those who simply want to plug only a single cable in when they get to work, and only unplug one when they leave. That'd be amazing!!

11. zainjetha thread starter macrumors 6502a

Attn: Mod

Reckon this thread should be merged with 'New MacBook to Thunderbolt Display' thread:- see page 1.

12. legioxi macrumors 6502a

I picked up a 2012 air and iMac for this, since the iMac wasn't much more than a TBD in cost.

Meh.

It's a pain using two systems.
    It's a pain using the iMac in Target Display Mode.

My iMac collects dust. I'm planning on selling both for this new one and then getting a used Cinema Display (display port) and using an adapter to connect it.