Could there be something like Madden for the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FJR, Jul 28, 2008.

1. FJR macrumors regular

I'm talking about a full on game. Renderings of every NFL stadium, all the players, full stats. Everything that is on the console game version of Madden. Or Gran Turismo or final fantasy for that matter.

For now let's set aside concerns about how it would be played, I am just talking about could a game that big work on the iPhone? Something that takes up 2G of memory and puts that much strain on the CPU.

I can't really figure out if apps, while they will surely get better aren't going to change in a fundamental way, or if when devs really start to figure out the iPhone we'll see crazy things that we could never really imagine.

For now I have a hard time playing aurora feint without crashing, so I'm leaning towards the former. In which case we'd never have to worry about disk space from an app. But if things like madden or gran turismo are possible, that's a different ball game.

2. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

AFAIK, the iPhone is supposed to have better processing power than Sony's PSP (which I also own, but haven't done a comparison, ect), and there isn't going to be a Gran Turismo on it, so I don't see it being done on the iPhone (licensed property issues aside).

Madden would be a mess. I know you're saying forget control for now, but you can't. Without proper control, a football game is meaningless.

Besides, EA can't get Madden right on the consoles and computers (nothing more than palette swaps of better graphics and updated rosters on an annual basis), what makes you think they could do something decent on the iPhone?

3. FJR thread starter macrumors regular

I'm saying forget control for now because I'm talking more about the complexity of the game, it could be any game of similar complexity. I don't really care if it's actually madden or gran turismo.

4. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Okay, then re-read my post. The iPhone has the processing and graphical prowess of the PSP (or better), so theoretically, anything that can be done on the PSP can be done on the iPhone. Implementation is the problem though.

5. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I doubt it's that hard, they do have Madden for Wii.

6. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I know that. I have a Wii. The problem is implementation. How will we control players? In that sense, touch-screen FTL.

7. FJR thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to say that puts you in the "games can get much more complex" camp.

I just have a hard time believing it, at least until there is a big stability update, with the way games are causing major lag and crashing all the time. I mean freaking contacts lags, and I'm supposed to believe this is as powerful as the PSP?

8. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

so then why does crash bandicoot have so many frame drops? it's sometimes almost unplayable.

9. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Same as controller for Wii, using the phone to tilt.

10. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I think that has more to do with the crappy 2.0 firmware.

11. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Doesn't it also require the nunchuck to play though? I'm not saying it is impossible, I'm saying that it would be a solution that is unacceptable to me personally. Besides, if I'm going to play Madden, why not fire up the 360 and do it on the 50" or 100" screens, instead of my iPhone?

That and give the devs time to work with it. For example, look at any game system. Of course the early games were rudimentary, but as time goes on, the devs learn the system and can eke out every bit of quality.

12. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Well, you have to think multiplayer and when you're on the road. Imagine playing with it on a plane with your buddy. There is definitely a market for it.

13. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

True. I guess I would need to wait and see how it is implemented. Considering EA's penchant for ruining all of their franchises as of late, you'll forgive me if I don't hold my breath. :D

14. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I have always felt that there is going to be some point where games start to become incredibly powerful and graphics wise much improved from the first few games

I do think that may require another update hardware wise from Apple thus may be a part of v 3.0

15. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

EA is making Tiger Woods for the iPhone. ID is planning on making something pretty elaborate.

I think we will see more complex games. The problem is more complex games take a long time to develop so it will likely be a while.