Could there possibily be a shortage this year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drober30, Jun 14, 2010.

1. drober30 macrumors 6502a

With Best Buy, Apple, AT&T, WalMart and Radio Shack (did I miss any) all taking pre-orders and selling the phone on launch day, that makes me think that Apple built billions of these things and there should be plenty to go around?

Or does that mean so many stores that each one will have fewer to offer?

I have never had a problem getting one because I'm one of the crazy's that stand in line or go out of my way. This time, for the first time, I'm without my phone for ten days because I traded them in early to get the highest amount possible.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If they run out, then you'll have to wait a week or so. Not really the end of the world.

Just put your order in online or camp out at your local applestore - either way, we are only talking about a phone and so it shouldn't be the end of the world if they do run out of stock on day one.

3. rmatthewware macrumors 6502

When the iPad 3G came out, I went to a Best Buy store because it was closer. I asked about it, and they told me they had six total, two of each model, and they were gone. After driving almost an hour to the Apple Store, I got in line and they had plenty.

My guess is these other stores will have limited inventory, though, because the iPhone has a track record (whereas no one really knew how well the iPad would sell) I bet they have quite a few more iPhones.

Of course there could be a shortage, but I doubt it will be anything like the iPad. It just depends on how many people want to buy it right off. The fact that ATT is letting you upgrade early, paired with the fact that iPhone 4 is a major design upgrade, could make a difference.

4. tigress666 macrumors 68040

So has Apple ever not made enough to the point there is 2-3 weeks wait for everyone?

From what I understand at least from the Sprint store (was browsing hte other devices just to see what the competition was like) the EVO is sold out like 3 weeks or so right now (and I think the Incredible is similar). I'm sure some of it is from popularity, but I bet they didn't make enough either.

Has Apple every underestimated demand that badly that it takes weeks to get a product from them? Or are they pretty good and that's pretty rare?

5. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

Is it up to each Apple retail store to determine when they will open on the 24th and how they deal with pre-orders/reserves vs people just standing in line? Will someone like me who is going to pre-order/reserve get mine before people who are just waiting in line, no matter how long they have waited?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just take a page out of the iPad roll out book.

There were a number of places that ran out of stock, but others like best buy that didn't. So just figure out whose selling them and hit those stores.

Also look for some of the more out of way stores, that are off the beaten path, they'll probably have less foot traffic as well.

7. KingHuds macrumors 6502

I know for the 3G launch, my ATT store only got like six phones, and it was the only one in the whole area. I'm not sure about this year.

8. lyndeam macrumors member

Maybe not Apple but AT&T did for the 3G launch in my area. We do not have Apple stores here, just AT&T and Best Buy. I went into the store and ordered my phone about a week after launch and had to wait a little over 2 weeks to receive it. The store sold out of all the 8GB pretty fast (in hindsight I should have just spent the extra $100 and gotten the in-stock 16gig). But this was also the first big iphone launch in my area... before the 3G I didn't know anyone who had an iphone, so maybe they have planned better for this one.

9. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I doubt they'll be shortages. It sounds like Apple has been making a ton of these devices. I haven't had a problem getting an iPhone from my local Apple store on day 1. Of course individual stores will run out of stock but they are usually replenished quickly.

10. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

This is based on nothing but my own gut feeling, but I don't think there will be as many shortages as previous devices. Apple continues to learn from previous mistakes, and I think part of the reason it wasn't released sooner is that they want to get a big head start.

Some very busy cities might run out for a bit, but I think the majority of people who want one on launch day will get it.

11. TLewis macrumors 65816

Individual stores may run out. However, last year, many stores did not run out. (Yeah, I know that this really doesn't help, but that's really how it is. It really depends upon the store. In previous years, Apple has put up a temporary iPhone store availability page for Apple stores, updated each night, and it appears to have been fairly accurate in terms of which Apple stores are stocked. Also, this year, Apple is supposedly ordering more parts for building iPhones, compared to previous years -- if the manufacturing end can keep up, Apple should have lots of phones.)

If you can wait at home (because a signature is often required), pre-ordering for home delivery is often the easiest. There're no lines to wait in, and you'll likely have multiple days in which to order (if previous years are any indication, you'll have several days to order before the online pre-order stock runs out -- you don't have to panic and order on the very first day of pre-order availability).

12. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I have no clue about this year.. but last year I was not able to pre-order the 3GS right away since I was on vacation and I got my phone 2 weeks after it was released. (from AT&T)

13. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

There is _no_ way there will be a shortage anywhere.

Apple has too much at stake. For the first time Apple has serious competition out there. In the second half of this year there will be an avalance of Android powered smartphones released. Nearly all of the major handset makers are launching in the second half. Things are about to heat up.

14. jcberean macrumors newbie

An employee at Best Buy told me, all stores will get at least 45 iPhones.

FYI

15. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Apple stores always get a ton of inventory. I do have a question though: How long could someone wait to preorder the 3GS for launch day delivery on the Apple website before it no longer guaranteed delivery on the launch day?

Trying to figure out if I need to sit by my computer for hours waiting or if it's fine if I get into the store an hour or two late...

16. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

17. TLewis macrumors 65816

Last year, for home delivery, you had a few days before the home-delivery pre-orders sold out (I'm not sure, but I think you had almost a week -- anyone remember?). Dunno about Apple stores, though.

18. quid squid macrumors regular

if there is a shortage we will hear about it here and plenty of people will think it's the end of the world. i'm sure you've seen the threads about them not having white iPhone preorders...some of those posters act like it's the end of the world...if this happens it will be the apocalypse.

19. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

You could still preorder them 2 days before the release date. Anybody that had ordered them that late got them shipped overnight on thursday from within the United States, as opposed to the people who had ordered much earlier, who had theirs shipped from China. I would assume it'll be the same this year, unless the preorders are significantly greater in number than what they are anticipating.

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No one knows this, so why even ask or sweat about it. Assume there will be plenty or wait a few days. You’ll live.

22. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

That's great. I've been worried about getting into the system in the first couple minutes to guarantee a launch day delivery, but I guess I don't need to. It makes sense though; the delivery is directly from Apple's warehouses and doesn't need to be tied up in inventory at a store.