Could they have given me a new macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by C00KiE, Jul 8, 2008.

1. C00KiE macrumors member

C00KiE

I had a problem w/ my macbook. I posted a question about it on this forum, got no replies so i took it to apple. Turns out my harddrive wasn't responding and they are going to replace it. My question is could they have given me a new macbook? I still have a warrenty on it. I have to wait around 5 days to go pick it up. I wanted to ask but felt like they were going to look at me crazy for asking that.

2. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

they will generally only replace what they need to replace. unless there are massive continuous unsolved problems. giving out new macbooks for everyone who needs a HD replaced is not good business :/

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They could have, but all they really had to do is replace the HD. Your chances would have been better if there had been other problems with the MB in addition to the HD.

4. C00KiE thread starter macrumors member

C00KiE

oh i forgot to add that they were also replacing the bottom of the macbook.

5. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Why do you think your issue warranted a replacement? I'm just interested to know.

6. EC.. macrumors newbie

EC..

A warranty is for parts replacement. I know, like most people, a replacement seems necessary for every little issue, but often times a simple replacement of a part is all that's needed. Apple will replace computers if necessary, but not for something as small as this (even with your added comment about the case being damaged as well)

7. C00KiE thread starter macrumors member

C00KiE

Cause I remember my sister returning her macbook. Her problem w/ her macbook was that it kept turning off and they gave her a new one. So what's the difference w/ hers and mine?

8. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

a lappy turning off randomly could have been considered an unsolveable problem, eg not sure if it was in the logic board, power supply, battery, ram; hence replacing the whole thing would have been easier than testing and replacing each individual possible componenet that was broken. they have been able to ID you problems to the case and hard disk, hence they will replace those. if the problem continues then they may look at replacing the whole thing.

reality is you can ask, so you may as well.

9. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

The macbooks that were shutting down randomly pretty much had major hardware faults that were unsolvable.

They replaced them, took the random shutdown ones back, and then probably refurbed those.

You'll be fine, bottom line.