Could this be a Cable issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benji87, Nov 7, 2014.

1. benji87 macrumors newbie

MACBOOK PRO 13" MID 2010 A1278.

Computer started running extremely slow, freezing and getting stuck on mundane tasks and finally just white screen. Started by trying to boot to recovery for a reinstall but kept getting disk errors. Couldn't verify or repair disk. So I purchased a 500gb WD SATA for replacement. Disk Utility sees the disk but I get an error that states "cannot write to last block" when trying to format/partition. When trying to install Snow Leopard I get an error message telling me to restart the application OR "this disk is locked". Tried resetting SMC and PRAM. I have just purchased and am waiting for a external HDD enclosure so that I can test the old HD through USB. Also waiting on a HDD cable. Will post results of those two soon. In the mean time though, anyone care to share their knowledge on the topic or could share another way I could troubleshoot?

I've posted this on the apple forums several times and have gotten absolutely no response. Seems like they dont answer anything but questions about buying new macbooks...

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That does sound like a bad cable and you are going through the right steps with the external enclosure to verify that. There just is no easy way to tell for sure without having to buy an enclosure and test that way to eliminate the cable in the loop.

3. benji87 thread starter macrumors newbie

First off thanks for the reply. Ill post up my results once I get the enclosure. I did try another hard drive in the macbook before the latest one. Im pretty sure it was just a DOA though because neither the macbook or my ps3 could format it or even see it.

I've always messed with PC's and this is my first Macbook I have ever serviced. Good to know Im heading in the right direction. :cool:

4. benji87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just an update, got the replacement cable in today and just finished installing OSx without any addition issues. So far so good.

Also, an interesting side effect, the keyboard backlights quit working some months ago and the new cable has also fixed that issue.

Hope this helps someone else out.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Good deal. Glad you are all fixed up. :)