Could this be a Mac trojan?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Macula, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

Yesterday I enabled the Leopard firewall by selecting the "set access for specific services and applications" option. In particular, I enabled incoming connections for iChat.app and for Transmission.app. I did not specify any applications or programs other than those two.

Today, as I was checking my Leopard preference panel, I noticed that a third program, a UNIX executable under the name natd, has been added to that list. This binary is located in the /usr/sbin folder, so it must be some really low-level process. Also, according to finder it has not been opened since last September.

Do you have any idea how this binary made it into the firewall settings? Is it placed there by Leopard itself? Could it be a trojan or malware?

Thank you.

2. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

It's nothing to worry about. NATD stands for "Network Address Translation daemon". It's part of the OS, that's probable why Leopard added it automatically.

3. Macula thread starter macrumors 6502

Macula

Let me rephrase this otherwise: Is it normal for natd to be running in the background? I just realized, using Activity Monitor, that in my case it has been running for a while without me activating it in any way.

4. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Yes that's normal. Leopard will automatically run and close processes as needed. If you look in activity monitor, even right after you restart, you will see quite a few processes. Most of these aren't vital to run the OS, only doing a couple of specific tasks.
    One may do something with Bluetooth, or networking, or the UI.
    So if you quit them strange things might start to happen.

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

With Little Snitch on I often see this in a list of processes when start up happens, one day I got curious and checked what it was doing at startup... from the short little description at the time it seemed to be checking to make sure the clock was correct. :) Nothing bad about that!