Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

K3LL4nD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
I've been doing some thinking about that GreenBlob affect that's plagued some iPhone 4's.

Could the lens be sensitive to the light spectrum that is CFL lighting (and light from LCD screens, maybe?!) that it would cause a type of 'burn' on the lens and thus creating the error?

I wouldn't ask anyone to do this, but I'm just wondering. If you have 2 iPhone 4's and one is experiencing the GreenBlob affect and the other is not. Take the none affected iPhone and take a picture of a CFL light, like in some office buildings, hallways... (think about the ceiling lifts at a Wal-Mart store) and see if this would recreate the issue.

I have a hunch that it might.
imageyfs.jpg

imagezj.jpg

imagezj.jpg

imageyfs.jpg

imagezj.jpg

K3LL4nD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
cambookpro said:
Picture links are broken. But, in though the green blob was only in some kind of light, can't remember what it was, fluorescent light?

I guess that would depend maybe.

I've seen some posts with before and after photos that showed a photo of one place, and no green blob, and then later on in the same lighting conditions as previously used before, the blob was apparent... So I don't know. It's all funny business to me..

Oh and for some crazy reason, I haven't figured out how to upload screenshots to imageshack so I can post them on here..

vile

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
My iPhone4 was actually pretty fine until once I took a photo at our office toilet (don't ask) with flash. After this shot I had the green blob issue for a few weeks but it resolved itself somehow, I didn't realize when it happened but right now my iPhone4 photos are fine without any green blob. The room where I took that photo which created the green blob has bright white walls and I think neon lights.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
It's been explained many times. It's the relationship between the flickering fluorescent lights and the slow electronic shutter. Basically the lighting and white balance are not consistent during the exposure.

Similar problems can be shown on any camera. With a more sophisticated camera you can avoid the problem with a higher shutter speed, change in ISO, lighting etc. With a simple camera you can only change the lighting, location etc.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Change the lighting or the location. Use incandescent lighting, turn on the flash, open the windows to let the light in etc. There are a lot of solutions.

K3LL4nD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Givmeabrek said:
Change the lighting or the location. Use incandescent lighting, turn on the flash, open the windows to let the light in etc. There are a lot of solutions.

Incandescent lighting is not fixing the issue with my phone, nor is the flash. The flash is over exposing all my photos.

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
DEAR MACRUMORS MODS CAN YOU PLEASE MAKE A STICKY ABOUT THIS

there's like 20 of these threads.. if only you would search

iBryton

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
I took my iPhone into the Apple Store and they replaced it.. same thing on the new one I got.

K3LL4nD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
iBryton said:
I took my iPhone into the Apple Store and they replaced it.. same thing on the new one I got.

I have a replacement coming in the mail, so I'm hoping it doesn't have the same issue.

Is everyone experiencing this or just a select few?

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
I have a replacement coming in the mail, so I'm hoping it doesn't have the same issue.

Is everyone experiencing this or just a select few?

did you read this?

there is your explanation! your new phone will do it as well!

It's been explained many times. It's the relationship between the flickering fluorescent lights and the slow electronic shutter. Basically the lighting and white balance are not consistent during the exposure.

Similar problems can be shown on any camera. With a more sophisticated camera you can avoid the problem with a higher shutter speed, change in ISO, lighting etc. With a simple camera you can only change the lighting, location etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.