Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
FAKE
1copy.jpg

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
A good way to find out if these are fake are to look for images of 5G iPods and iPod Hi-Fi's to see if an unedited one can be found.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
The first two, especially the 2nd (with the hand holding it) could be real. The third looks PSd. I think they are all fake, but what an excellent job! I bet we get a product like this soon enough.

onemacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
Hertfordshire
must of taken ages to do. but gives apple a few ideas. some companys make all this speaculation to see what the public want......look around for those apple employees:) :D

zigzag

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2003
Canada
I looked at it too at high contrast, it looks like it might not be brush strokes, but rather a reflection of some sort.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
If the controls "appear" when you touch the screen, how would the pictures show the controls? nobody is touching the screen.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
The first two are some of the best fakes I think I've ever seen!! Very believable!! If Apple released a real Video iPod like that that was moderately priced, I'd be sorely tempted to break the piggy bank open.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
At some point, the sheer NUMBER of images has to be suspicious :D

Just for fun, attached is my mockup (ONLY A MOCKUP) of an iPod with:

* The exact 2.4x4.1" dimensions of the 5G.

* A 4" diagonal screen.

* 16:9 ratio.

(As you can see, to make the borders truly even all the way around a 16:9 screen, the 5G's dimensions would have to be altered a little. Which is not a comment on the alleged spy photos--some of them look pretty good. Just noting the results of my experiment.)

CoMpX said:
I agree, if it just has the same features as the 5G iPod then what's the point of it.
The point would be to watch video bigger :)

That's ALL I see coming in such a product (if one ever appears) and that's good enough. Dreams of PDAs and smartphones are just going to make people frustrated, I predict. The iPod is a music player, becoming (secondarily) a portable video player.

More complex tablet-type products MIGHT come from Apple next year or something, but not soon and probably Mac-based rather than iPod-based. That's my guess.

Attachments

• Nagromme4-Inch.jpg
    Nagromme4-Inch.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 403

Vagcmyevad

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2002
Very interesting... in the following picture:

http://mirror.root.vc/macshrine.com/1full.jpg

... you can see the reflection of a tiled roof with some sort of pipe running across it. This is most clear when looking at the iPod AV's screen. This would make sense since all the objects (iPod nano, "iPod AV", and iPod Hi-Fi) are very shiny...;)

If these are fakes, they are very, very good!

(or am I just going crazy? :eek: )

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
ero87 said:
If the controls "appear" when you touch the screen, how would the pictures show the controls? nobody is touching the screen.

Thats a really good point. The only thing I could think of is if it has the 2 second delay type thing when you change the volume.

If anyone has the movie Ice Age maybe you could go though it and see if the scrubber is in the same spot as the iPod shows.

iZoom P5

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
If people thought the scratches on the 5G/nano were bad, wait till this thing comes out. The class action suits would start before it even shipped!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It would be silly for me claim certainty, but my gut reaction is:

* Images that are probably real (55% chance): Only the original "classic" test-pattern photo with the Chinese characters that nobody has translated. (Despite the suspicions people have raised, some of which are legitimate. That video, however, was not convincing as has been discussed to death.)

* Images that are probably fake (75% chance): Everything seen since then, including these. But if so, these are well done at least. The "brush marks" don't bother me, but the UI seems odd to me.

That's not proof, just my gut reaction.

cunning.stunt

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2006
cardiff/brighton
Vagcmyevad said:
Very interesting... in the following picture:

http://mirror.root.vc/macshrine.com/1full.jpg

... you can see the reflection of a tiled roof with some sort of pipe running across it. This is most clear when looking at the iPod AV's screen. This would make sense since all the objects (iPod nano, "iPod AV", and iPod Hi-Fi) are very shiny...;)

If these are fakes, they are very, very good!

(or am I just going crazy? :eek: )

thats an easy affect to achieve really though, just a simple overly of a new layer and with a really low opacity setting and possibly change of gradient

themacman

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
kc
arn said:
very convincing. i would definitley buy one of they came out, but if there going to relase this they would defintley have to add some sort of comptley new feature to reallys set it aside from the 5G

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
The problem with these images and all the others that came after the 'Original' (with test pattern and mysterious, undecipherable alien symbols/characters) is that we've all had time to think about how these can be faked. We've even been treated to a video 'tutorial'. With these latest images it's gotten to the point where it's impossible to tell if they're real or not and there's not much motivation to try.

WaRrK

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2004
Sheffield, UK
I know that most people think the 3rd one looks the most photoshopped, but to me it gives the most evidence that it is real - look at the reflection on the top of the iPod HiFi - over the volume controls you can see the reflection of the virtual click wheel, but to the sides you can make out the reflection of the screen boundaries and the darker shadow of the screen bevel. If they had taken a photo of the 5G there wouldn't be the 2 darker shadows running down the side of the screen reflection.

Granted - I'm no expert on this kind of thing and it may be hope overriding everything else.

Still we can all agree on the following:

1) If they are real - we all will want one

2) If they are fake - that's one talented photoshopper!

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I think what is shown as brush stokes in the curves-enhanced version is actually a reflection of some sort.

I'm usually the cynical one, but this is actually quite convincing.

The counter in the bottom left looks very similar, but not exactly like the one in Quicktime when running a movie full screen. So it's not just a direct screen grab from QT.

Going into Photoshop and futzing with contrast, curves, etc. doesn't yield any hints to it being photoshopped. Everything on screen adjusts evenly, which shows there was no obvious manipulation.

The only thing I can think of is to ask someone who owns the movie Ice Age to post an image from the 17 minute and 33 second mark.

DavidCar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Hobgobble said:
I think what is shown as brush stokes in the curves-enhanced version is actually a reflection of some sort.

The only thing I can think of is to ask someone who owns the movie Ice Age to post an image from the 17 minute and 33 second mark.

I would like to see the original Ice Age image as well. Perhaps it could be digitally subtracted from the supposed iPod image to bring out the reflection. It is more complex than brush strokes, I think.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
The first one looks the most convincing. In the second one the black border around the movie doesn't look like a solid black border like the other one. It looks like a shadow/glow imposed over the video.

Attachments

• 2fullipodav-2.jpg
    2fullipodav-2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 228
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.