Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2003
LA
Xidius said:
In addition:

What you got right / stupid mistakes we made:

1 - Typoed the remaining time on the eminem track. Was supposed to read 1:09.
2 - Ice Age 2 duration didn't match up with the trailer, as it was supposed to.
3 - No EXIF tags. When editing was complete, layers were combined, copied and pasted directly into preview and saved as a jpeg from there, leaving the image with an empty history.
4 - Need to make my brother get a manicure. :p

What you got wrong:

1 - The perspective of the iPod hardware is not wrong. That part isn't modified. It's a photo of a real 5G iPod.
2 - The compression artifacts do not give away the editing. All of the source images were uncompressed. Compression only occurred after final editing.
3 - So called brush marks that appeared when the image's contrast was raised were reflections placed over the iPod / Hi-Fi intentionally.
4 - The "line through the screen" in the second picture was not the crease where two ipod screens were edited together. It was the reflection of where the ceiling meets the wall.
5 - The tone of the text / logo on the back of the iPod were intentionally different, as proven here in an unedited picture:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61715&perpage=40&pagenumber=2
6 - No headphone jack in the first picture? Thats because of the perspective.
Etc.

We'll be more careful next time! It's been fun! =)

- Xidius

I don't know who is a bigger sucker. The people who believed your crappy photos or you for revealing that you actually bought an iPod HiFi.

TheDulcimer

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
actionslacks said:
I don't know who is a bigger sucker. The people who believed your crappy photos or you for revealing that you actually bought an iPod HiFi.

Normally i might say "hey don't dis the hardware"

but after thinking it over i have decided to say "yeah, your right!"

-The Dulcimer-

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
actionslacks said:

Haha! Can we all stop with the photos stop now, please? I've seen them way too many times.

TheDulcimer

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
dornoforpyros said:
attachment.php

;)

NOTE: the truth behind this post is i'm just moving it to page two.

Ok for everyone that has ever said "Dear God make these pictures stop!" (which i know most of us now have)... this is for you.

-The Dulcimer-

Boingy

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2006
Xidius said:
Nearly a week ago, my good friend, Zweben (A graphic artist, like myself) and I were rather bored. We were looking over the (at the time) recently proven fake image of the video iPod:...

We decided it would be fun to see how everyone would react to actual high-resolution high-quality images.

Zweben went ahead and mocked up the screens, and my brother and I took the pictures of my 30gig iPod 5g....
- Xidius

Posting pictures like that and telling us later is like taking a kid to 'Disneyland' driving to a burned out field then telling Disneyland burned down. Even if you take them later it's still a low thing to do.

*growls*

~V

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
Xidius said:
Nearly a week ago, my good friend, Zweben (A graphic artist, like myself) and I were rather bored. We were looking over the (at the time) recently proven fake image of the video iPod:

http://www.macshrine.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/02/103357149_ebe5a6a8c71.jpg

We decided it would be fun to see how everyone would react to actual high-resolution high-quality images.

Zweben went ahead and mocked up the screens, and my brother and I took the pictures of my 30gig iPod 5g.

Here's are the originals, as proof:

http://xidi.us/temp/proof/2.jpg
http://xidi.us/temp/proof/3.jpg
http://xidi.us/temp/proof/4.jpg
http://xidi.us/temp/proof/5.jpg

IT'S TRUE!

- Xidius

WOW I WISH THE IPOD I USED AT THE APPLE STORE HAD A VIEWING ANGLE AND SCREEN WITH THAT HIGH OF A RESOLUTION. OMG! The effing viewing angle is like...the same as straight on....& it's at almost flat with one of those pictures. thats SHULL BIT

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
TheDulcimer said:
NOTE: the truth behind this post is i'm just moving it to page two.

Ok for everyone that has ever said "Dear God make these pictures stop!" (which i know most of us now have)... this is for you.

-The Dulcimer-

thank you, thank you :D

Ghost2

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2006
Great fake Xidius very realistic looking and detailed, you really had me fooled. One thing though, if apple released a full-screen iPod I don't think they would use a virtual wheel for controlling video play back. I think that they would use a control scheme similar to the bar used in quicktime pro for video. http://images.apple.com/quicktime/pro/images/proindexonscreencontrols200.jpg If at all possible could you please create an iPod Av mockup using this control scheme.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I don't know why I keep clicking on these links. I don't know why you people do either. I'd be out having a life tonight, but I'm still sick, so I'm commenting on obviously fake iPods. That was pointless, but what are you gonna do I guess.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
QCassidy352 said:
haha, very nice dorno. :)

But otherwise, I'm with vniow... this thread just makes my head hurt. :p

thanks! I'm hoping that by posting my own obvious fake people will get the clue that "yes, you know photoshop, that's very impressive, now go away"

Truthfully I think this is a rather nice photoshop challenge, but I wish people would leave it at that rather than attempt to get exposure through tricking everyone.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Well, amongst all this fakery, there are some interesting UI ideas out there.

pppI like this \/pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp I don't like this \/

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 270
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    16 KB · Views: 269

Halsey12

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2006
Portland
So who's gross fingernails were those in the pics?... the male or the female? I'm not sure I want those nasties to be on either, cause they just plain look gross both ways.

jer2eydevil88

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA
After a night like lasts.... I don't think I can physically do much more than crawl through mac/ipod rumor threads...

cheers

stefan15

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2005
Canada
Well in my honest opinion it was a good photoshop job. Congrats on what I thought was a pretty convincing fake. Also, I hope Apple takes a hint from these fakes, I think the design is great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.