Could this be used to get out of ETF?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drew077, Jun 11, 2009.

1. drew077 macrumors member

On ATT, I was looking at my bill in detail view and at the end it said this "411 Info $1.99 per call beginning July 1, 2009". I was just wondering if it could be used to get out of the etf.

Thanks for all the help.

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

How could that possibly be used to get out of the ETF?

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Doubtful, but give it a shot. The worst they can say is it is not a valid reason to end your contract and the ETF still stands.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Because they changed the terms of the contract. If they are breaking your two year contract, you should be able to break it as well.

It's like if you sign a contract saying you'll pay $80 a month, and then decide you only want to pay $70 a month. They can go ahead and stop giving you service...

6. cantuchristoph macrumors newbie

It depends on whether or not those new terms are considered a "material" change to the contract.

7. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Whip out your contract and start reading the small print.

I cancelled a contract last year because they started charging calls by the minute instead of by the second, so a 40s call would count as a minute.

The terms of my contract said no ETF if a contract change was detrimental to me. Obviously I whipped out a few old bills, did some sums and sent off a letter saying I'd be losing so much a month and they let me out the contract.

If your terms are similar they could always say "you've never called a 411 number" which is a sneaky thing to do. I'd recommend googling to see if anyone else is trying, reading your contract very carefully and getting in contact with AT&T when you can quote the necessary terms that would let you cancel your contract.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

doubtful, I don't think altering the fee structure that probably wasn't detailed in the contract would be sufficient to break the contract and avoid the ETF.

If however your contract does state free 411 calls then, give them a call. Either way you need to comb over your contract with a fine tooth comb and then start a dialogue with ATT.

9. drew077 thread starter macrumors member

I called att, and they said it would work, also a few people on other websites got it to work. But the only thing that kept me from going a head is, they said when i reactivate it with them i would not be able to keep my same number. Can any one confirm the number part, that just dose not make sense.

10. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

When you cancel your contract and your service with them without porting out they are required to hold your number for 60 days in case you decide you want to come back or something like that. Doesn't make sense at all...but that's life.

11. fratboy macrumors regular

i just called to see if it works .. it didnt this time.. but i am going to try again.

she said it cant because its not a monthly fee.. and said if you dont call it at all.. you wont be charged

cause it went up from 1.49 a call to 1.99 a call

but can i call back and say i signed a contract at 1.49 a call and not 1.99 and if i call i do not want to pay the 1.99 price .. do you think that will work ?

12. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

Yes you can but... when you sign ur ATT contract it says you allow ATT to make changes to your account at any time. Some ATT representatives dont know about that or care or know about it. If they say no, just keep calling back and say thats a breechof contract and I didnt agree to those terms and conditions.

I know this because Sprint had done this and when I got a new phone I called sprint about the changes to my contract and when I got out of contract I sold my phone on ebay.

13. The General macrumors 601

You guys, I finally solved my Rubik's cube. Could this be used to get out of the ETF?

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

this is a legit question. your sarcasm is not appreciated

15. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

It's very possible. Sprint changed some admin fees on my acct by .19 cent and it voided my contract. Way I was able to come to ATT to begin with.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Would a change in a FAN discount be a ETF case? My discount was changed a month or so ago without me knowing for the worse than what I originally signed with ATT. If it is, am I already too late as I have paid the amount for 2 cycles?

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I appreciated it.

BTW: Don't feel pressured to update your sig.

18. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

LMAO!!!

19. mkoesel macrumors regular

LOL, Absolutely. I've read the contract carefully and that is indeed listed. Here are some others FWIW:

- Wild horses in back yard messing up lawn
    - Going pee-pee in the potty!
    - I missed an episode of "Lost"
    - Permanent marker on chin
    - Sugar
    - No one listens to my ideas
    - Fantasic hair
    - Overly optimistic sales expectations of nine yard spools of 11 gage wire
    - Hello smurf, you're so blue.
    - Very big sofa with tiny cat on armrest
    - Lego in my pizza
    - Walter doesn't hear the sounds of the wind
    - General admission is sold out

I've used a few of these. The lady asked if this had anything to do with the new iPhone and wanting the subsidized pricing. I told "no", but she just laughed. Then I laughed too. We laughed together. I got her number. I called her. We went out. She was hot. We did the nasty! She's a movie star. It is Jessica Alba. I am on MTV.

Bye.

20. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

part of the contract is that you can add/remove anything from your service plan without breaching the contract

21. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

Doesn't part of the contract state that they (AT&T) can change the terms of the contract any time that they wish?

"Changes to the terms and conditions: These terms and conditions may be changed from time-to-time. AT&T will post the most current version of these terms and conditions at att.com/MediaTerms or other appropriate location. Please check these regularly to inform yourself about changes to the terms and conditions"

22. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Yes they can, though you have the right as a consumer if the changes that are to be made, you don't agree with, you can be released from your contract without penalty. That's why they have to post changes and send you a notice.

If you continue to use their service without complaint, then you are in de facto approval and acceptance of the new terms and conditions. So if a change occurs you must notify (insert carrier) of your disproval right away. If you try to pull that "stunt" a few months down the road, it's already too late.

23. jasphair macrumors member

Why are people so desperate to get out of their ETF's? Isn't the ETF pro-rated, decreasing each month you continue your contract? So, if someone bought the 3G last year, and wants to get the 3GS, but doesn't want to pay $175 to end the contract early... wouldn't they only have to pay like $87? Is that a huge deal?