Could this be why we got SD slots?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by islandman, Jun 10, 2009.

1. islandman macrumors 6502

I've already decided to suck it up and not worry about the SD slot in the new MBP. But I came across This Gizmodo Article about ExpressCard 2.0 being 10x faster. If this is true, maybe Apple simply took it out until they redesign for the new standard? It might be silly, but it's possible.

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Possibly. I'm more excited about being able to boot from an SD card.

3. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Firewire 3200 and USB 3.0 are also just around the corner and they sure as hell didn't remove USB and Firewire. :D

No, but... if there's any relation to the EC 2.0 spec, it's probably that Apple found that it would be too expensive. They're a bunch of penny pinching scrooges despite selling premium products. They put the SD port there because it was cheap and then they made up some lame excuse about EC not being popular enough.

4. cube macrumors G5

Stupid consumer orientation, that's why.

Apple == iPod

5. NintendoFan macrumors regular

Big time. I'd love to be able to get my software on an SD card rather than a disc too.

6. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

so they could take it away then bring it back and wow another apple conference audience? Kinda like firewire on the 13" MB"P".

7. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

The physical interfaces are the same, it's the controller chip that would need to be changed out. In this case, there would be no benefit to removing it only to fit in the exact same slot later on.

8. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Do you really wanna do that? Even a Class 6 SD card can only do 6MB/s - 20MB/S if my math is right

I have a UB 2.4 MBP, ill stick with that and skip this release. Id like to see USB3.0, BR, and the return of EXPCard 2.0 on my next purchase, maybe even 1680x1050!

9. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

Redesigning for the new standard doesn't really make sense, it seems as though the accessories will change, not the slot itself as the article mentions "The new ExpressCard 2.0 will work with all existing ExpressCard technology, which can be found in most laptops.". If thats the case Apple just needed to keep the same slot in there and newer accessories/devices would take advantage of the new standard.

10. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

yeah even slower expresscard 1.0 ssds are faster.

11. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

It's about time Apple caught up to modern technology...if even that.

12. Jelite macrumors 6502a

"Woooh,Yeeaaah" *fistpump*