Could this damage my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GreenStripe, Jul 28, 2009.

1. GreenStripe macrumors member

I have a swissgear backpack and an in case sleeve that keep my macbook very snugly in place, but my campus has a TON of steps.. I'm planning on wearing the backpack with my macbook in it everyday of the week, do you think the shaking from going up and down stairs could cause damage to my macbook?

Thanks

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

3. Panzo macrumors 6502

my friend has his laptop in a brenthaven bag, hes in the army, hes been serving in iraq for quite a bit now, his laptop has survived through a few gun fights, mine detonations and mortar attackes, i dont think a few stairs will do anything to your machine, just make sure its in a secure place in your back that it wont be rubbing up againsnt anything. (keys, pens, inflatable dolls, guns)

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I wouldn't worry about it... The hard drive has special sensors that help it if the ride gets too bumpy, but that usually involves drops ;)

5. entity macrumors regular

And just to reiterate, it is okay to travel while in sleep mode and it is not required to be off completely.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Youll be fine. Just make sure the laptop doesnt get squeezed too hard inside. If the screen presses against the keyboard it can leave permanent marks.

I haven't seen this happen on the MBP though

7. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Ive got this swiss gear backpack. And ive had it packed to the brim with books. Ive had that thing 40 lbs. or more. And never had any damage. had it a year now.

[​IMG]

8. mac88 macrumors 6502

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've always required that my MBP and MBAir be in their own backpack or bag 24/7. Because the added pressure from textbooks can cause undue pressure on the keyboard keys and especially the spacebar to leave smudged marks on the screen that eventually end up SCRATCHING your glossy screens. Though the marks are minuscule, they tend to multiply and ruin your screen. PM me if you need additional information.....:eek::eek::eek:

I've returned a Mac for this very reason, and Apple calls it "cosmetic blemishes" but if you want it repaired, it'll cost you $700 for repairs to the screen.....

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've always wondered what would happen if we all responded : "YES- carrying your machine around in any way that jostles, bounces, bumps, or otherwise moves your laptop will cause irreversible damage!!"

Would you all just leave it permanently bolted to a desk? Honestly...

11. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

My MBP has about 5000 kilometers in my backpack, biking! Always on (but ofc sleeping) and no harms, no disc-crashes.

I wouldn't worry about some steps :D