Could This Happen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SocomDude23, Apr 20, 2009.

1. SocomDude23 macrumors newbie

Say apple released a new iphone say called the iphone pro could it bypass the agreement with at&t because its technically not a iphone?

2. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

How is it not technically an iPhone if it has iPhone in the name.

3. SocomDude23 thread starter macrumors newbie

because its a new phone like if virgin had the lg rumour on the there thing so noone else can get it its diffrent when the rumour 2 comes out

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

5. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Wow... That was a silly question. Dude, the iPhone is staying with AT&T.

6. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

As long as Apple makes it and it uses a mobile network that network will be AT&T's.

7. jason72780 macrumors regular

I'm sure AT&Ts lawyers wouldve had something preventing something like that. The only way I can see that getting by is if they have Ted from Scrubs as their only lawyer.

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Guys, you've missed the easiest example of disproving this nonsense.

If that was the case AT&T would've lost exclusitivity when it was changed from 'iPhone' to 'iPhone 3G' :rolleyes:

9. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I'm pretty sure that the agreement includes any mobile cellular device made by Apple regardless of name.

10. jason72780 macrumors regular

except a new contract was made then ending apple getting a cut of each subscribers bill and allowing a subsidy

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I'm sure there are provisions in the very detailed, very complex Apple/AT&T exclusivity contract describing what Apple can and cannot release. Saying that any iPhone would automatically go to AT&T is like saying whatever RIM puts out will automatically go to Verizon since they have exclusive rights to the Blackberry Storm.

The truth is, we have no idea what the Apple/AT&T contract explicitly states. If Apple were to come out with 3 iPhone models in June, who's to say they will all go on AT&T? If the exclusivity contract (which is probably over 200 pages long) says so, then they will.

And to say that it would automatically go to AT&T because it has "iPhone" in the name or since both the orginal and the "3G" went to AT&T, is a bit simplistic. Now, if the contract says AT&T will have exclusive rights to "any and all phone devices Apple produces until 12/31/10" then we have our answer. Maybe someone here can write to Tim Cook, Steve Jobs, or Randall Stephenson and ask them for a copy of the exclusivity contract.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

13. nicheco macrumors member

i can't believe we've answered THIS question over 10 times now.

14. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

No.

FAIL.

[​IMG]

:D