Could this laptop be a MacbookPro alternative?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by malinao, Mar 3, 2011.

1. malinao macrumors newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvdOWbJP-dM

Looking good to me! :D
    It got the nvidia GT520M, but in the other hand the battery lasts for only 4.5 hours... Available here in Brazil for about 900US$.

What do you guys think??

2. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

3. malinao thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Whitelightning macrumors regular

I think a question that should be asked... can a Macbook Pro run better with Windows than a Windows laptop can?

5. ClintMacwood macrumors member

Yep, and it's basically just plastic.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

7. terzinator macrumors 6502

I would argue that it can. You can do a clean windows install, instead of having it full of the bloatware that would come on a Dell/HP/Compaq/IBM, etc...

Been running it for 3.5 years on my 2007 MBP using VMWare Fusion and it's still works great. (Wish I didn't need windows, but I do for SQL management and other tasks.)

8. rjbruce macrumors regular

Apples and oranges. (no pun intended)

If it does everything you want it to at a price you're willing to pay, have at it. I have Windows 7 on my desktop and I don't have any major complaints but I prefer my MBP. The only thing they really have in common is that they're both laptops. You can't really compare spec to spec because each OS uses those differently, and each OS provides a different user experience. You could get into build quality and on and on but since I've never used an LG laptop I have nothing to compare against. My only advice would be, if you want a MBP, don't buy a PC hoping it will fill that need, buy it because it does what you want it to.

9. Apple OC, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011

Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Nope ... maybe an Acer alternative though :cool:

10. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Because you can't do a clean Windows install on non-mac hardware right? :rolleyes:

11. billgates99 macrumors regular

12. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

No
    Please don't buy a Macbook if you're going to be mostly running Windows on it, you're just wasting money.

13. dime21 macrumors 6502

No, you can't. Every laptop and desktop peecee that comes pre-installed with windows includes a special magical "restore disc". This special restore disc puts everything back, just as it came when you bought it- bloatware and all. There is no option to do a clean Windows install unless you spend another couple hundred bucks on a retail copy of Windows.

So with the peecee, you have to purchase from Microsoft *TWO* copies of Windows OS in order to get your clean install. With a Mac, you only need to purchase one copy. That's a difference of hundreds of dollars!

14. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Or you could just spend the 10 minutes it takes to delete the stuff yourself. wow BIG deal right

15. TSE, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

TSE macrumors 68030

16. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I'm an avid Mac user, but in all fairness, the Mac itself already costs hundreds of dollars more.

17. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You can install Windows from any DVD that you borrow from any friend or download from a torrent. As long as you enter your serial number that is on a sticker on the back of the notebook it is a genuine install.
    Just because not every idiot can figure it out doesn't mean it is not possible. You would save money if you just pay a friend who is a little less clueless a crate of beer for his help instead of wasting money on two Windows copies.

18. wesrk macrumors 6502a

I can see it as an alternative for the 13" for some people. Seems like there are better alternatives out there though, a couple threads back someone posted a very good alternative for the high end 13", don't remember the brand but I'm sure the thread will get some replies today as well.

19. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Any machine can be an alternative. If it meets your needs, get it.

20. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Agreed, one of the (primary) reasons to buy Apple is to run OS X; possible on a pc but it never works 100% (at least it didn't for me).