Could this statement from AT&T be any more vague?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by auburnpsh, Jun 26, 2008.

1. auburnpsh macrumors newbie

 With a two-year contract, the price of an 8GB iPhone 3G will be $199; the 16GB model will be priced at $299.

 Unlimited iPhone 3G data plans for consumers will be available for $30 a month, in addition to voice plans starting at $39.99 a month.

 Unlimited 3G data plans for business users will be available for $45 a month, in addition to a voice plan.

The way I read this, it sounds like the $30 3G data plans are optional add-ons to the voice plans. If they weren't, why would they even mention them as separate prices. Why not just list the initial voice plan as 69.99, a price that would include what many are calling the mandatory 3G data plan. (as they did in the original)

The reason I post this, is because I, like probably many others, am a grad student who simply cannot afford an extra 30 bones a month. I need to update cell phones and want an iphone 3G, especially now that it is only 199, but can't do it if the 3G is required. Does anyone else see that statement as unnecessarily vague? Why won't they just freaking release the plan details.

That quote, by the way, is taken from the press release on www.att.com/iphone

2. airlights macrumors regular

I think they want to separate what you are paying for. The data fee (excluding text messages) will never change. With the voice plan, you have many different options to choose from. I'm probably wrong though.

3. auburnpsh thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand that, but does that make the data plan optional? They make it sound like an optional add-on. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

4. justanothernerd macrumors member

it's all just a spin. It looks a lot better to the average joe that way to say that data is just $30 and voice starts at $40 - I don't think people will be as excited to hear that the minimum plan (without any SMS!) is $70 + tax. iPhone doesn't sound so sweet then...

5. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I just checked my upgrade status again and another line of info has been added.

This line is eligible for equipment discount pricing when you sign up for a 2-year service agreement. You can also take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option. All iPhone purchases require a 2-year service commitment.

6. airlights macrumors regular

Oh, I see now. It's all spin.

7. auburnpsh thread starter macrumors newbie

All iPhone purchases require a 2-year service commitment.

But WTF is service commitment?!? Minutes, data, minutes+data?!?

And why do they say that the 3G service is "available"
    Available to me means optional.

8. rtmadden macrumors regular

What's the point of getting a 3G iPhone if you don't want the data services?

9. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I think it's data, because the iPhone Data Plan is what makes the iPhone.. the iPhone I guess. Or it just means you have to commit to AT&T for 2 years and either sign up for just voice or data+voice. I don't knoww.

10. auburnpsh thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm poor, and I don't think Sally Mae (or my wife) wants me shelling out an extra 30 bucks a month on data. The iPhone 3G can do many things, and I want one now for those other things. It's the all in one device for those who don't use or can't afford to have internet everywhere too. Plus, it doesn't really matter why. Why do you care?

I graduate school next may, and would likely add the data when I do, but I need to live like a student now, so I that can live like a lawyer later.

11. rtmadden macrumors regular

I'm certainly not trying to begin a hostile interaction here, I just think that there are other devices that may be more suitable for users who don't want to use data services. Without data, the iPhone is really just a Touch with voice capabilities.

12. airlights macrumors regular

Maybe you should invest in the iPod Touch. You cannot really use (or get for that matter) the iPhone without buying the data plan. It's required to use the phone.

13. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

They break it out to make it clear what you are paying for and also people can compare apples to apples when comparing different plans, different phones and different providers.

It in no way means the data plan is optional.

When you buy a car they don't add the price of gas for the next 5 years to the sticker price either. That doesn't mean gas is optional to use the car.

14. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

Could the difference between "agreement" & "commitment" be the price of the ETF? Breaking the "commitment" might be more costly?

15. johnryjr macrumors regular

I'm in the same situation, in college. I will be purchasing a new phone soon. Currently I just have a normal cell phone. I don't have data now, so I wont miss it and the iPhone without data will be more than I have now. How is it not suitable? I will have my phone. music library, and wifi at school, home, etc. "Just a touch with voice capabilities" Thats three devices in one, a phone, ipod, and internet device.

John

16. auburnpsh thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly my situation. It still satisfies the need, a new phone, and gives extras: ipod, Wi-Fi, apps, etc.
    An ipod touch doesn't satisfy the essential need.

17. jplan2008 macrumors regular

At the moment, with the 2G iPhone, you can actually cancel the data -- it's hidden on their website, and you have to call, you can't do it online. They don't want to advertise this option. Once they make their plans public, you could ask AT&T, but even if they say it's not possible, that could just be a sales pitch -- my advice would be to wait and see what happens -- there will be others who try to cancel the data, and see if they're successful. At the moment, the iPhone plan includes the visual voicemail, not sure what will happen with that if it's just the "regular" data package -- don't know if you'd have visual voicemail without data or not. (an iPod Touch plus phone plus GPS plus camera for less than the cost of an iPod Touch, if the voice plan is similar to what you're already paying for voice, sounds reasonable for someone that doesn't want to/can't pay for a data plan)

18. auburnpsh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. Good post.

19. iStefmac macrumors regular

No, never, not a chance.

iPhone = unlimited data plan.

iPhone 3G = unlimted $30/mon 3G data plan.

No way around it, it is what it is.

20. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Why would you purchase an iphone without the data plan? Its the whole point of the phone in the first place. I understand it is also and ipod but the functionality is greatly reduced without a data plan.

21. auburnpsh thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I'm obviously an idiot apparently. Coming from a cell phone that doesn't have a data plan, I first of all won't miss not having it. Second of all, I need a new phone now, and don't want to get in a two year contract with a phone that I don't want. Thirdly, like you said, the iPhone 3G, while most effective with a data plan, still gives you the option to do a lot that you couldn't do on a regular cell phone. If I'm going to have a phone without data, why not get the best phone. Sure it will be limited, but that's what I want, and more importantly what my wife and I can afford on a limited grad school budget.

Finally, as I have mentioned, I will be out in practice next year, and would probably add the data plan then. Until then, I'll be more than happy with all of the iPhone's features plus Wi-Fi. Why would I settle for a crappier phone with a two year contract if I didn't have to?

But by all means, feel free to pick up my tab for the data plan if you feel so inclined.

22. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

Just like when you buy any other phone isn't it. They separate the voice and data plans to make it look less than it really is.

23. auburnpsh thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess it's just the "will be available" in the second point heading that makes me think optional. You have to admit though, that is vague wording.

24. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

So it seems to me what you want is all the iPhone functionality without the 3G data so you don't need to pay $30/mo. Okay, but you can't have that. You can have close to that if you get the iPod touch and a regular, non-iPhone phone. So in other words $30/mo gets you two things: a single device and 3G data. In your case all you want is the single device. But you can't afford that $30/mo.

Given all that, why not get a less expensive phone (free? $50 with rebate?) and iPod touch. Then next year, or when you have the cheese, sell the touch and get an iPhone. Plus you'll get a 32GB iPhone, and they'll probably let you upgrade at the subsidized price.

25. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I'm still confused by the benefit of signing up with AT&T with a corporate account. I run my own company and set up an AT&T corporate account though I actually haven't set up with any phones yet. So a personal account is $30/data while a corporate is $45/data. Are the voice plans the same or is it cheaper for one? Is there a percentage discount? The e-mail AT&T sent me didn't include any prices so I'm a little confused which way to set up my account with AT&T when I get the iPhone: personal or corporate? In my company there is only me and one other.

Thought?