could use a hand, iPhone 4 wont update

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Natesac, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I was attempting to update my jailbroken 4.1 iPhone 4 using iTunes 10.1.0.56.

trying to go to stock 4.2 (downloading from iTunes)

Now I get an error every time i try to restore and all I can get is the connect to iTunes picture on my phone. iTunes gives me the "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You mus restore before it can be used with iTunes."

whats the fix for this?

2. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

You say you get an error... What error? At what point in the process? Please be more descriptive.

Have you used tinyumbrella?

If so, make sure to clear out any lines containing gs.apple.com in your /etc/hosts file.

3. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

after some fiddling i think i got into DFU mode.

fingers crossed

4. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Yes I did use TinyUmbrella. I guess it automatically does the host file mod?

If this go around fails. All I have to do is delete those lines? or do I need to replace them?

5. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

If you remove them it defaults to your normal dns server to determine the ip. Modifying the file only serves to override where it would have normally routed.

So yes, just delete the lines.

6. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I just followed your instructions. Its going through the motions. I will let you know what happens.

Before this try I tried with the TSS server started in TinyUmbrella. That did not work.

Thank you for the late night help. I have been Jailbreaking for years now. I don't usually screw it up this bad.

7. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

It worked. Thank you again.

Now my only problem seems to be that when I restored my backup it seems to not want to restore my apps. So now I have to resync all my apps and have lost all my appdata?