could use a little help, please

Discussion in 'macOS' started by backsidetailsli, Jan 28, 2008.

1. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

ok, let me try to make this as clear as possible. i own an imac and a macbook pro, both running leopard, they share the same network here at home. i had no problem running screen sharing from my laptop to my imac, still dont have any problem running screen sharing from my imac to my laptop. file transferring works fine both ways. the problem i suddenly have is screen sharing from my laptop to my imac.. wasnt like this before.. hmm. whenever i try to use this feature, i have to put in my password and user name.. wierd thing is that they dont work anymore. im not sure which one im inputting incorrectly. is there a way for me to know exactly what my user name should be? and where can i reset my password? this is getting frustrating, ive tried many possibilities.
    please help me out!
    thanks!

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Did you change the login name and or password (accidently) of the computer you're trying to access? I did that once and it took me a bit to figure out why I couldn't get my remote desktop to work.

You can reset your password with the OS X install disk by holding down the [c] key when rebooting, or log in to your admin account and head to system preferences->accounts and click the change password button.

3. backsidetailsli thread starter macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

where can i find exactly what my user name is?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

account name:

System Preferences / Accounts / Password / Name

but that should not change without you knowing it, if it's your computer.

5. backsidetailsli thread starter macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

this is is soo frustrating!
    my user name is James Paznar
    so i put that in with my password and still nothing!
    it says its wrong :S
    what else could it be?

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Have you tried it without the space? Just a thought...

7. backsidetailsli thread starter macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

nadda..
    this is weird cause it was working perfectly before..
    i really must have touched something i shouldnt have.. but what could it be?

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Change the OS X account passwords to something else and change it back.

Go to keychain on the computer that is giving you password issues, and erase the app that you use to remote connect.

9. backsidetailsli thread starter macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

just tried this, still nothin :(

10. backsidetailsli thread starter macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

**** get this. tried to "connect as.." using my typical user & password. that works, but when i put the same info into screen sharing, it doesnt work? what gives?
    ok threaad is over. somehow figured it out! wow it was right infront of my face too.. i had my imac set to allow access to a certain user list.. which was empty. hah, set it to "all users" now it works. thanks for everyones help! i think resetting the keychain had soemthing to do with this success also

11. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Have you tried using your account's 'short-name' when asked to log in? If your account name is "James Paznar" the OS might have shortened the name to something like 'jpanzar' ... You can check this again in the System Prefs Consultant talked about. It's a shot in the dark, but I'd try that as one of my checks.