Could use advice/feedback about upcoming purchase

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bounou, Jun 29, 2017.

1. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

Considering ordering a 2017 iMac, i7 27" with a 580 and a 1TB SSD.

I had pretty much decided to wait till next year when they announced the new iMac mostly based on the rumors of a redesign for next year.

I need the computer as an upgrade to my Mac Mini, it is my primary desktop PC and also my media server and I use it for encoding and it is really not doing the job and just too slow for some stuff. Plus I just ordered a new ergonomic desk for my office so I will be using the desktop more and want a better experience.

I also would like to be able to do some light gaming, nothing too hardcore, WoW and Warhammer total war for the most part. I really have no problem playing games at 1440p and with TB3 I figure at some point I can always get a better eGPU if needed.

I have an opportunity to buy the iMac at a considerable discount, as in 3200$ CAD instead of 4700$ that apple would charge, at 4700$ I would not even consider it but at 3200$ I am thinking about it.

Before I got the discount on the iMac I was going to wait to see next years model and either get a eGPU with my MacBook Pro or build my own reasonably priced gaming PC to hold me over until the new iMac is released.

I know it's dumb really but my main worry is that a year from now Apple comes out with an insane new design for the iMac or Mac Pro and I end up regretting not waiting but on the flip slide I would be saving so much it would probably not be that hard to unload it next year at a price that would be pretty close to what I paid for.

Conflicted, want to avoid buyers remorse down the line.

2. Ph.D. macrumors 6502

Yes, next year the iMac will likely be physically redesigned. Yes, this year's update is very nice indeed. Your choice, and little more can be said.

3. cptn.nemo macrumors regular

Nobody really knows what apple will do so I wouldn't bet on anything significant for imac, you could literally wait forever for the next best thing

4. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Considering ordering a 2017 iMac, i7 27" with a 580 and a 1TB SSD.

That's the one i have, love it, no regrets. it will be my daily driver for personal and hobby, media consumption, gaming, etc.