Could use some advice on which Macbook I should buy.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Johnnybb, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Johnnybb macrumors newbie

Hello.

I was just browsing the web, and then I found this forum. I have been looking for a Mac community for a while, since I've been starting to look at Mac a lot. So hello fellow mac fans.

Anyway I could use some help. I need some advice on whether I should buy the Macbook or the Macbook Pro.

I will use the Mac for mostly school work, some casual gaming and a bit music producing. So which Mac should I choose?. Would be cool if you could suggest a specifik one.

Thanks you.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Hello, and welcome to the Forums!

Just from the information you provided, a MacBook would be well capable of meeting your needs. While a MacBook Pro is awesome, it is not necessary for you to spend the extra $$ for what you will be doing.

However, if you do decide on a MacBook Pro, please be aware there are rumors of an update coming soon.

3. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

When you say "casual gaming" -- could you offer some examples? One person's "casual" gaming might very well be another's hard core gaming.

4. Johnnybb thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah yes. Well pretty much just some World of Warcraft. And probaly also gonna play Starcraft 2 when that comes out :)

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

You better go with the 15 or 17 inch macbook. Although I'm not even sure they are powerful enough for any "new" games other then card games.

6. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

WoW is PLAYABLE on pretty much every current apple notebook.

But if you want something that looks good and plays fast -- wait a couple weeks until the new MacBook Pros come out.

7. Johnnybb thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I will first buy my Mac in 4 month ish, when I've saved up the money. When does the new Macpro come out?.

So I suppose the Pro would be a obvious choice if I kinda want an all around computer?

8. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

I'm curious as to whether the MB will get refreshed with the Pros. I realize that the MB is mid cycle but also noticed on a few occasions that the two machines were updated at the same time (with only 3-4 months between refreshes). I had almost convinced myself to stop waiting for the new Pros and get a MB, but then thought of the possibility of them both being updated together. And I haven't been able to find any threads pertaining to MB refresh rumors.

9. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

welcome.. like most people said already a Macbook is prob good enough for you. I went with the MBP when I made my choice, not doing anything heavy, I don't play games on it(yet). I basically only surf the web and some school work. But I just wanted something that was going to last me awhile with good speeds and it didn't hurt it looks nice..

best bet is to play around with them and see which one catches your attention more. My next computer will be the Imac, most likely later this year. good luck and welcome to the :apple: family

10. Johnnybb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot.

I also have plans about buying an iMac after the MBP <:

11. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

If your planning on getting an iMac I would look into the refurb 1.8GHZ SSD air.

12. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

if your thinking of buying an imac too then get the macbook 13" its a really nice device and will suit you (and your wallet) perfectly[​IMG]

13. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I would say the 13" 2.26 or a newer base 13" when they are released. If you have the iMac, no need for a blazing laptop and it will handle the games you mentioned.

14. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

If you're planning on getting a new iMac pretty soon after the laptop purchase, then I'd say the MB, and save yourself about $200 toward the iMac, which would most likely be your primary machine. If you're thinking about buying the iMac in say, a year or so, then the MBP would serve your needs without question.

15. polotska macrumors 6502